8 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:04 PM

Anybody here using Derrick Whitehouse's SR2 low mode bracket? - or something similar? Is it compatible with all the SR2 with video tap combinations out there, or does it only suit certain taps? What part of the handle needs to be removed to mount it?
Alternatively is the camera handle strong enough for me to just screw a dovetail directly into it?
(Why cant people just hire an sr3 ?!)

#2 Brad Hruboska

Brad Hruboska

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 157 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:26 PM

Anybody here using Derrick Whitehouse's SR2 low mode bracket? - or something similar? Is it compatible with all the SR2 with video tap combinations out there, or does it only suit certain taps? What part of the handle needs to be removed to mount it?
Alternatively is the camera handle strong enough for me to just screw a dovetail directly into it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#3 Brad Hruboska

Brad Hruboska

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 157 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:32 PM

The Bracket is fine, you remove the handle entirely and secure the bracket in the four tapped holes. the JErry Hill Bracket ( now sadly out of production) was an L shaped piece but had issues with modifications to the SR on the side.....Worked great on Un modified cameras, but with the advent of many kinds of video split assists for the SR# was rendered unsusable..... the same bracket worked great for Arri 3's with steadimags.
If the job is a video transfer and finish , I'd just shoot upside down and have the editor flip in post , saves tons of on set time, and you go home earlier......

Hate to say I just keep modifying the cage for those strange rig ups. heavier bars and structue do wonders for the bounciness....
The tapped hole on the handle is not adequate for low mode underslinging, the result is very bouncy and you ill get tremendous vibration.....maybe some small trunbuckles and clip rings could be employed to tension the back of the camera....hmmmmm.
Brad.
;)

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:42 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's still selling those? I made him a bunch of them something like 15 years ago....

They work fine on 90% of the SR1's and 2's out there

#5 paul magee

paul magee

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 64 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 25 November 2004 - 01:19 PM

Seitz made an interesting SR low mode mount that had an adjustable tilt function built into it.
I've only seen it twice and when I asked the Seitz people about it a few years ago only John Seitz could remember what it was.

I have screwed a dovetail directly onto SR handle for some short 20 - 30 second takes with no problems. Production was in a hurry, only had the one body and the DP/op was bitching about the Hill mount living on the camera. I screwed into the handle and put an additional steel rod with taped out holes along the back of the handle with two screws to prevent the camera from spinning, safetyed it with an nylon strap and was off an running.
I prefer the Hill ( Thanks, David Allen Grove ) but I would use this solution again if I had to.

As for the SR3 - My question would be why can't they get an Aaton Prod?

Paul Magee
Philadelphia, Pa

#6 Benjamin Treplin

Benjamin Treplin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 298 posts
  • Berlin - Germany

Posted 25 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

I have never seen the old Hill LM bracket but I found this one on the Lentequip site.
Posted Image
Look pretty similar to Brads description.

I use the original Arri SR LM bracket it fits all SR bodies and is attached at the two rosettes. The price is ridiculous but you don't have to relay on the four tiny screws anymore holding the hand grip.
Chrosziel has a similar one for similar price.
Posted Image
It is in addition attached to the hand grip to reduce vibrations. Disadvantage the IVS has to be removed from the camera and attached to the bracket. To much screws for my taste.

Best

#7 TJ Williams

TJ Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 26 November 2004 - 02:10 PM

A vote for the Arri/ Chrozeil or just flipping the image for TV
The screws on top are not deep or into anything very solid.

A few years ago a screwed onto the handle, the setup was: low mode super post,
and very wide lens so I thought the vibration would not be much. Embarrasing moment when I stumbled bumped the camera on the deck and knocked the the handle right off. These handles are a piece of junk. Don't let anyone talk you into mounting to them! For comparison of handle ruggedness, I did a mud slide with a betacam mounted low mode on the handle and hey no damage...

I bought BaerBels lowmode box, much more solid and not so wide as the Cp/Tiffen box. This solves a lot of problems when they ask for the low on the camera for which you do not have the adapter! How do they know!!!

#8 guillermo nespolo

guillermo nespolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:33 AM

the way i see it its to hard to get with a low mode braket for all those modifications out there for sr and some are pure junk....
mayor problems ...video assist on top of the handle or ivs on the side...
for me i now that its not the best way allways uses the camera handle if the handle its not ok well then the cage ...but for shure with the cage or a bad handle i gonna get bibrations all the time.. or not if u are hard mounted

http://img22.exs.cx/...6/DSC06193b.jpg

#9 guillermo nespolo

guillermo nespolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:47 AM

http://img99.exs.cx/...e=DSC06146b.jpg

hey howard take a look at my happines face.....

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems