#1 Edmond Fetue

Edmond Fetue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Hi all,

I was recently asked by a client to shoot some aerial footage from an helicopter and he asked me if it has any advantage on using the steadicam.

I didn't know what to answer really because I've never tryed it before and I recall being told on the Tiffen workshop never to combine: Steadicam + helicopter.

Any experience on this?

Thanks

#2 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Florida

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

I recall being told on the Tiffen workshop never to combine: Steadicam + helicopter.

That sums it up. It's not the right tool for the job and it's extremely dangerous.
With all the wind up there you will not have a usable shot. Better to use gear designed for aerials.

#3 Norbert von der Heidt

Norbert von der Heidt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

If a Tyler isn't available or out of the client's price range and there's no way around maybe try a system I've used with bungy cords in an X pattern in the doorway of Jet Rangers. The camera is suspended by the handle from the crossover in the X (with appropriate safety line) making sure to attach to the camera at a balance point that allows the camera to hang at an angle that will require the least amount of force from you to get the shot. A remote zoom/record handle would be very handy for this as well. Here's a pic of the first incarnation of the system before progressing to the full X config.

Good Luck
Norbert

Attached Files

#4 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

Yea, the steadicam and the helicopter don't work together. Just go hand held but make sure you are strapped in to at least 2 points and one of the points is behind you.

#5 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi all,

I was recently asked by a client to shoot some aerial footage from an helicopter and he asked me if it has any advantage on using the steadicam.

I didn't know what to answer really because I've never tryed it before and I recall being told on the Tiffen workshop never to combine: Steadicam + helicopter.

Any experience on this?

Thanks

Ride up in a fast elevator wearing your rig and you'll see about 1/100 of the force you'd be subject to. I love it when clients say "I've done the is before with another operator" BS!

John A

#6 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

having shot out of helos a sh!t ton (Empirical) of times I've had great results using a similar method to the above described bungee setup in addition to cross mounted gyros. The result eliminates any need for a steadicam. The type of helo factors greatly into what you can accomplish, so I don't want to say that you can absolutely eliminate any and all jitter without using a Wescam.

#7 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

Edmund

As I said at your workshop, don't do it!

Robin

#8 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

Ride up in a fast elevator wearing your rig and you'll see about 1/100 of the force you'd be subject to. I love it when clients say "I've done the is before with another operator" BS!
John A

Have done this several times (elevator, not really fast), i must admit.. it is a strange feeling but cool effect :D

#9 Edmond Fetue

Edmond Fetue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

Ok I get the picture. I'll keep my rig away from helicopters.

Thank you all!

#10 Edmond Fetue

Edmond Fetue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brasil

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

If a Tyler isn't available or out of the client's price range and there's no way around maybe try a system I've used with bungy cords in an X pattern in the doorway of Jet Rangers. The camera is suspended by the handle from the crossover in the X (with appropriate safety line) making sure to attach to the camera at a balance point that allows the camera to hang at an angle that will require the least amount of force from you to get the shot. A remote zoom/record handle would be very handy for this as well. Here's a pic of the first incarnation of the system before progressing to the full X config.

Good Luck
Norbert

I think I may try this!! Thanks Norbert!

#11 Dave Isern

Dave Isern

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 70 posts
  • New York City

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

yeah I've had people that said they've had ops steadi in copters before. My reply is that the steadicam operator must've been an idiot
D

#12 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

yeah I've had people that said they've had ops steadi in copters before. My reply is that the steadicam operator must've been an idiot
D

Kinda harsh words for ops like Garrett and Larry and quite a few others myself included

#13 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:44 AM

D

Kinda harsh words for ops like Garrett and Larry and quite a few others myself included

But I'd bet the value of your rig that you wouldn't do it again now.

#14 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

D

But I'd bet the value of your rig that you wouldn't do it again now.

You owe me a serious amount of money... Yes I would do it again

#15 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Garrett does think it's stupid to use Steadicam in a helicopter... he's learned it the hard way with many of his close friends killed in accidents. There are better tools, safer tools,- tools that are FAA certified to deal with those G-forces. We always say in the workshops - for 25 years now - do not do this.

Jerry

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

SkyDreams

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems