Photo

Basson Steady Blackbee PRO or Steadicam Flyer LE?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Basson Steady Blackbee PRO or Steadicam Flyer LE (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Which should I go for?

1. Basson Steady Blackbee 2010 PRO (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. *USED* Steadicam Flyer LE (28 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Connor Farwell

Connor Farwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hey guys, I'm an amateur steadicam operator, and I am looking to purchase my first rig. A close friend of mine owns the Flyer LE and has taught me everything I know on that rig. So when I decided to purchase my own rig, I naturally looked into buying the LE because of it's familiarity. My price range is around 6,500$ with some wiggle room, so I started looking for used LE's. On my search, I found a used LE for 6,800$. It has 60 hours of use and looks to be in great condition. Although, while looking around I came across the Basson Steady Blackbee PRO for 5,800$, although with the accessories I'll need it comes out to around the exact same price as the used Flyer LE. I am skeptical about straying from the Steadicam brand, especially the familiarity of the Flyer LE, but from the looks of the specs from their website, it seems like the Blackbee is the better option.

Basson Steady Blackbee PRO specs

Has anyone had any experience with Basson rigs?

Being an amateur, I am curious to the opinions of the senior operators on this forum. Should I go with a new Blackbee PRO with counterbalance and extra battery, or a used Flyer LE?

Oh and I work mostly with 5D's and 7D's, but hope to work with bigger and better camera's in the future.

Edited by Connor Farwell, 05 January 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Michael Suchar

Michael Suchar

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 32 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

I'd say stick with the Steadicam Flyer. It will hold a better resale value if you decide to sell / upgrade. Plus, Tiffen is local here in CA if you need parts / assistance.

#3 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Talk to Paul Gardner about the Basson equipment. Then buy the Flyer.

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

I know someone with a similar looking Basson rig. From what I have seen of it I would say that you are MUCH better off with the Flyer.

~Jess

#5 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

A Basson is just scary... scary stuff. One piece or exactly several metal pieces of junk.. save yourself the time, energy and last but not least money...

#6 Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Fabrizio Sciarra SOC ACO

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • London,UK

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

http://www.steadicam...showtopic=13180

Trusted member selling a great package. Save yourself.
Good luck

#7 Connor Farwell

Connor Farwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

Well, it seems like I am getting a resounding no on the Basson system. I'm curious as to what the flaws are with their rigs?

#8 Thomas K. Jensen

Thomas K. Jensen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 150 posts
  • Denmark, Europe

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Take a look at the Steadicam Marketplace.
Mark Schlicker has a used Flyer up for sale for around $4000
and I know that he has been taking good care of his gear.

#9 Andrew Stone

Andrew Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hi Connor,

This is the Flyer that is up for sale here.

It is ideal for your needs and the price is insanely good. The owner is very good with his equipment and you will have wiggle room in the weight department for more accessories or a newer camera like the Panasonic AF-100, should you go that route some day.

The Flyer has been considered "the best in class" in it's weight range both in the behavior of the arm and the gimbal.

#10 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

You know why that call it a Basson?

Cause it sucks!

You're right, there's no joke there, only truth.

#11 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Well, it seems like I am getting a resounding no on the Basson system. I'm curious as to what the flaws are with their rigs?

That list would be far too long. I was going to give a list of what pieces aren't flawed as that would be shorter but I honestly can't think of any...

#12 Martin Stacey

Martin Stacey

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 201 posts
  • Adrenochrome, New Zealand

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

That list would be far too long. I was going to give a list of what pieces aren't flawed as that would be shorter but I honestly can't think of any...

Aww come on Jess, the camera screws that come with the rig have their uses. (Expensive way to buy screws though)

#13 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:04 AM

I am skeptical about straying from the Steadicam brand, especially the familiarity of the Flyer LE, but from the looks of the specs from their website, it seems like the Blackbee is the better option.

Being an amateur, I am curious to the opinions of the senior operators on this forum. Should I go with a new Blackbee PRO with counterbalance and extra battery, or a used Flyer LE?

This has got to be a troll, two total post's and joined the day of his first post.

#14 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

whats wrong with the basson? The think the are true proffesionals and even have there own version of the AR. Look it up, the have a demo movie wich is great. The sound that thing makes is even worse then a 747 on the taxi strip lmao. Look at THISand dont forget to turn on your sound
i rest my case...........

#15 Connor Farwell

Connor Farwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

I am skeptical about straying from the Steadicam brand, especially the familiarity of the Flyer LE, but from the looks of the specs from their website, it seems like the Blackbee is the better option.

This has got to be a troll, two total post's and joined the day of his first post.

No, I'm not a troll, I've just lurked the forums for a little while now and decided to make an account when I had my first serious question as an amateur operator.

And I'd also like to say that I am somewhat honored to have you post in my thread, considering you're one of my favorite Steadicam Operators of all time. I am a huge fan of you're work on the Dexter shoots.

And to all the other responders: Thanks for all the feedback, I've decided to go with the Flyer LE.

BOXX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies