#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi Chaps,

I have a gig where live video is being fed to an LED screen. The vision mixer is a Panasonic MX50 (Composite Vision Mixer) but I only have a Camwave to transmit the signal from a Sony DSR-450 with SDI board. As the camwave RX only sends video out via SDI to a mixing desk/monitor I assume I need an SDI to Composite converter to get it working with the vison mixer.

This seems a bit overkill and can't help but think there is a much simpler way...

At the moment my chain looks like this Camera - CamWave TX - CamWave RX - SDI/Composite Converter - MX50 (Vision Mixer)

I guess a simple way would be to use a titan or something similar but the cost of renting would be more than a decimator or another sdi-composite converter....

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Cheers

#2 Scott Jason Gill

Scott Jason Gill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 78 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi Chaps,

I have a gig where live video is being fed to an LED screen. The vision mixer is a Panasonic MX50 (Composite Vision Mixer) but I only have a Camwave to transmit the signal from a Sony DSR-450 with SDI board. As the camwave RX only sends video out via SDI to a mixing desk/monitor I assume I need an SDI to Composite converter to get it working with the vison mixer.

This seems a bit overkill and can't help but think there is a much simpler way...

At the moment my chain looks like this Camera - CamWave TX - CamWave RX - SDI/Composite Converter - MX50 (Vision Mixer)

I guess a simple way would be to use a titan or something similar but the cost of renting would be more than a decimator or another sdi-composite converter....

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Cheers

That is likely your only option, something like a Blackmagic SDI-Composite or a Decimator to turn SDI to Analog. If there's an extra deck lying around, a lot of them will convert SDI to Analog as it is passed through. Tell the I-mag crew it's time to update mixers! You could always go hard-wire :(

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Cheers Jason, thanks for the input.

The only problem with being hard-wired is that the 450 has a new SDI board, so I'm not sure if it will have composite out too.... and even then I'm doing a lot of walking around a 50x20m wakeboarding pool. The one time you really DON'T want cables haha.

Decimator it is I think...

I tried to explain to the production that all my kit is SDI and there would be an extra cost to get a converter, didn't seem to go down well but we'll see I guess.

#4 Norbert von der Heidt

Norbert von der Heidt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

.... and even then I'm doing a lot of walking around a 50x20m wakeboarding pool. The one time you really DON'T want cables haha.

I don't know about that, it'll give them something to pull your body and rig back to shore with if there's a big mis-step! - LOL

Cheers
Norbert

#5 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

I tried to explain to the production that all my kit is SDI and there would be an extra cost to get a converter, didn't seem to go down well but we'll see I guess.

How dare you even show up to the job without every possible accessory to make every camera work with every display format humanly conceivable. You're a Steadicam op, aren't you supposed to be insanely rich and have a whole truck of electronics included in your kit?

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Teradek

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies