• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gordon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:02 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Gordon and I am looking into becoming a steadicam operator. I was looking to purchase a steadicam IIIA system mainly for budget reasons. I was wondering how helpful the steadicam workshop will be. I do realize that I will obtain the fundamental skills but does it do all that it is hyped up to do like give you good advice about how to get into the steadicam industry and be succesful. Also, is there a particular workshop that i should go to. I'm not sure if the workshop in malibu is still available but that would be better for me. I would greatly appreciate any tips from some of you that have made it in this field as an operator. I understand that being a good operator is one of the first steps but I am not aware of the other obstacles that could head my way. Thank you so much

#2 Mikko Wilson

Mikko Wilson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 268 posts
  • Juneau, Alaska, USA

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:17 PM

2 words. "Just go" [to a workshop]

Most people here will tell you that.

I myself am only just starting out and I just attended the SOA workshop in PA. And it was great, and well worth it! After a week I feel that I am now ready to get into this field. I know it's something that I want to do.

Going out and just buying a rig will not make you an operator, it will take you (and me) many years of practice and dedication, and a workshop is the perfect place to start.
Maybe you've tried it out befor and you know what it's about then by all means practice however you can, including getting a rig. But remeber that's a lot of money, and if you arn't really sure, take the workshop. you will not only find out if steadicam is for you, but you will also learn how ot get started operating properly, without developing bad habits from the get go.

However, do also keep in mind that taking a workshop won't make you an operator in a week either. And having a certificate in your hand won't make the phone start to ring, but it will give you huge amounts of help in the direction you want to get started in. It's the perfect environment to get started and to learn from some of the best and most experienced operators in the buisness. - Who better to ask for advice.

So my advice is to FIRST go to the workshop, Either Malibu in Jan (i think?) or SOA in PA in may(?). THEN you will be able to answer the question for yourself about getting your own rig.

Good luck!

- Mikko

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research