9 replies to this topic

#1 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Please excuse my ignorance if this is something obvious, but I've noticed that on a lot of Steadicam vests, there is a blue strap/cable that runs from the upper right shoulder down to the lower left waiststrap.

Could somebody explain what this is? It looks too thin to be a safety trap/guiding strap, but I can't think of anything else it could be used for?

Thanks and sorry again if it's really obvious!

#2 Caleb Ennis

Caleb Ennis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Please excuse my ignorance if this is something obvious, but I've noticed that on a lot of Steadicam vests, there is a blue strap/cable that runs from the upper right shoulder down to the lower left waiststrap.

Could somebody explain what this is? It looks too thin to be a safety trap/guiding strap, but I can't think of anything else it could be used for?

Thanks and sorry again if it's really obvious!

The Holy Crap Strap? B) It is an emergency release cord, that rips the vest off of you. Say you fall into a lake, pull the strap and your home free minus your rig... :blink:

#3 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

You mean this Blue strap B) The Holy Crap I am in the water /that Bear ,tiger, is getting a little to close.

Attached Files

#4 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Alex-

BTW, the strap has a breaking strength somewhere above 2000 pounds (I'm not looking this up, but the info is available on the web).

Jerry

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

Alex-

BTW, the strap has a breaking strength somewhere above 2000 pounds (I'm not looking this up, but the info is available on the web).

Jerry

I think it's standard climbing webbing that is available in almost any color/size

#6 Joseph Stunzi

Joseph Stunzi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

I thought the blue strap was there to help distribute weight on your shoulders?

Any good climber knows that a decent knife can break webbing of that build! So long as the rust from the lake water doesn't rust your knife first!

#7 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

Pulling the "Oh Jesus" Cord

#8 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the answers. I guess I also have a few followup questions. Firstly who pulls it? Is it the operator at all times, or do you educate/talk to somebody about what to do if you need to get out? Secondly, where is it pulled? Anywhere, at the bottom straight bit or the upper diagonal bit? And lastly is it still standard on modern vests? I read something on a post about it being discontinued in favor of simply making the shoulder buckles easier to get out of.

Thanks!!

#9 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the answers. I guess I also have a few followup questions. Firstly who pulls it? Is it the operator at all times, or do you educate/talk to somebody about what to do if you need to get out? Secondly, where is it pulled? Anywhere, at the bottom straight bit or the upper diagonal bit? And lastly is it still standard on modern vests?

The operator and only the operator pulls it, it's pulled by a t handle or a d ring on the fixed shoulder side opposite the entry latch. If it is still on a modern vest it's probably been rendered inert to prevent someone from inadvertently pulling it

PRO Vest's and Klassen Harness do not have them...

#10 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

[The operator and only the operator pulls it, it's pulled by a t handle or a d ring on the fixed shoulder side opposite the entry latch. If it is still on a modern vest it's probably been rendered inert to prevent someone from inadvertently pulling it

PRO Vest's and Klassen Harness do not have them...

still on the Tiffen vest for the professional rigs. Yes, you will need to disconnect two Cross back straps that help stabilize the side to side movement in the vest. I guess you could unsnap the four snaps that help hold that large triangular center velcro piece for a bit of pre planning.

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

IDX

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies