No replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Miller

Joshua Miller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

Hey Forum,

My associate and I flew a Glidecam a few weeks ago for Emerson College's lipdub. They just released the video, and I'd love to hear any constructive feedback you wish to offer since this is the most challenging steadicam shoot I (and my associate) have done so far. Both of us are very recent graduates of Emerson College, both with only a year or two of operating experience under our belts, so I would love to hear what you guys think.

A little bit of background:

Our producer shut down the entire campus for a day, so we ended up going through 4 buildings, in an elevator, down 20 stairs and a street during a parade. Since our campus is vertically integrated, we had to make a few creative edits, such as the flashing camera and the monitor in the 2nd studio.

As far as operating is concerned, it was incredibly taxing considering the amount of action in the frame and the physical obstacles we needed to overcome.

Outside through the brick alley into the elevator was fairly simple, operated in mostly missionary with the exception of a tango or two outside and in the hallway. The stairs were easier than expected, even though there were 20 of them. The tango transition at the end of the hall was a little rocky though.

At the beginning of the camera flash, I walked through the doors and had a whole bunch of whip pans until the 3 women carrying the ladder. I was still in missionary until I hit the group with the balloons, to which I transferred to walking backwards through two doors and backed into an elevator. Operating in an elevator was a challenge because of the momentum of the elevator moving up and down, but I attempted to compensate for that. Coming out of the elevator into the hall was fine until I hit the men on the table, to which I transferred to tango, the went backwards out of the door. When I left the hallway, I moved to tango until the woman passed the flower, to which I finished the rest of the shot in missionary. I counted about 12 different transitions from the camera flash to the monitor transition.

My associate took care of the final shot with the students playing quidditch, in which she was operating don juan down the block, then missionary through the first building, down the stairs and outside into the theater. She stayed in missionary until the hit the orchestra pit, where she transferred to tango, and then went backwards to complete the shot.

Our biggest issues with operating were our time constraints, because both of us were afforded only 2 runthroughs the day of with no walkthroughs prior to the event. Naturally, there were mistakes because of that, but considering both of us accomplished that shoot in a day with no prior walk throughs, I see it a success.

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers