13 replies to this topic

#1 Christian Betz

Christian Betz

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 39 posts
  • munich, germany

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:05 AM

We are proud to present the new joystick zoom control "Stick" which works with all lenses from Canon, Fujinon, Angenieux. In combination with the "Schnitte" you can control
any digital motors from Preston, Heden, Scorpio, BTM etc. for more info see: http://www.betz-tools.com/stick.php
Any Questions
Christian Betz

#2 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Nice... reminds me of zoom control that Preston no longer makes. Any chance of a version that can has a focus wheel as well? Is it possible to also use our Preston MDR instead of the Schnitte?

#3 Tomas Riuka

Tomas Riuka

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Vilnius

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

I was the first one to buy and get it, and have to say, i'm really happy with it! Christian's service and communication is amazing, and the product is superb!

#4 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:09 PM

Is that zoomcontrol working with a microswitch? I think i would like to try it before buy it. I am affraid its harder to control the zoom while running. Love tot try it out

#5 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

There's a wide open opportunity for someone out there to create a QUALITY zoom / focus controller that competes with the Stanton for live work. A zoom without focus is fairly limited in an already limited market.

The Stanton controller works great but is sadly stuck in a 1990's design and design mentality; they still refuse to offer it with anything other than a 2-pin late 90's Master Series Lemo connector or to address the unnecessarily long, bulky and stiff wiring loom.

Probably not a big market but the Stanton is just about all there is if you use it day-in-day out... just about!

Robert

#6 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

There's a wide open opportunity for someone out there to create a QUALITY zoom / focus controller that competes with the Stanton for live work. A zoom without focus is fairly limited in an already limited market.

The Stanton controller works great but is sadly stuck in a 1990's design and design mentality; they still refuse to offer it with anything other than a 2-pin late 90's Master Series Lemo connector or to address the unnecessarily long, bulky and stiff wiring loom.

Probably not a big market but the Stanton is just about all there is if you use it day-in-day out... just about!

Robert

My sentiment exactly Robert! I really don't want to buy the Stanton for $2.5K for antiquated new gear and exactly what this thread is asking : Gimbal zoom control for video cameras? any other solutions except jimmyjib ?

#7 Tomas Riuka

Tomas Riuka

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Vilnius

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

:))))

I really like Betz zoom, very compact, quality, except of course, it does not come with focus control, but i guess anyways it's better to have puller than do it yourself while operating, zooming and focusing.

#8 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

There's a wide open opportunity for someone out there to create a QUALITY zoom / focus controller that competes with the Stanton for live work.

What about the G-Zoom? (http://g-zoom.com) Is it not suitable for some reason?

#9 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

The few guys I know that own them and use them daily on lots of different shows have had some challenges with them. It looks like a great solution but if you don't have the newer lenses you still end up with a G-Zoom, Bartech and motor which all costs as much or more than the Stanton with motor.

Not meaning to hijack Mr. Betz's thread but I'd have to hear better reviews of the G-Zoom or try one for a few jobs before I can make a good decision.

Back you your regularly scheduled programming...

Robert

#10 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

but i guess anyways it's better to have puller than do it yourself while operating, zooming and focusing.

Yes it is... But that is not the reality on these live shows. I've only had the luxury once.

Robert, thanks for the intel. I would be willing to try one out also, but right now, I also have to pit the money on the Stanton... Being a dayplayer, I have to be spot on and can't just put the faith into a product I've never even seen yet. But I still have to have a solution for focusing... Are you guys just grabbing the barrel and pre setting? That sounds a bit reckless.

#11 Scott Jason Gill

Scott Jason Gill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 78 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

There's a wide open opportunity for someone out there to create a QUALITY zoom / focus controller that competes with the Stanton for live work.

I've used the G-Zoom with both a rented Canon IAS (internal focus servo) lens and with a Bartech motor controller/M-one on a standard lens and have no complaints so far. Very ergonomic design and smooth lens control. I wish you could just buy the Bartech motor controller by itself. The Bartech/F-stop digital controller doesn't have the hard-wire control connector or I'd go that route.

#12 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

I wish you could just buy the Bartech motor controller by itself.

You can now buy the BFD receiver by itself. It's $1300.

Jim Bartell

#13 Scott Jason Gill

Scott Jason Gill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 78 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

I wish you could just buy the Bartech motor controller by itself.

You can now buy the BFD receiver by itself. It's $1300.

Jim Bartell

Well, well...that's what i get for trusting forum post and not asking the source. I'll be calling Jim!

#14 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

Christian,

Sorry to slant your announcement thread off track, but any chance on a unit that will focus also?!?

-Alfeo

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

IDX