#1 John E Fry

John E Fry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 86 posts
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire UK

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:01 AM

Hi everyone.

While spending some idle time wondering at the EFP while it's here, I noticed the (VGA like) d-sub connector behind the battery plate on the bottom of the rig. I know it was supposed to connect to a recorder, transmitter & perhaps other things, but does anyone know specifically which devices? Or even better what the pinouts are for that connector so we can see if it might be utilised once again?

Also - if anyone has done an upgrade to an EFP (aside from Howard's MK-V one) like adding bars to the battery plate or monitor, did you custom make the parts or cannibalise off the shelf components? I can't just accept that this otherwise excellent & still very useful rig "cannot be dynamically balanced" without spending a fortune!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

#2 Richard W. Davis

Richard W. Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:08 AM

It was for the follow focus receiver to plug into. Either a Seitz or a WC 4 . No idea of pin outs but they connect to motorcable lemos connectors on top j box.

Rich Davis
LA

#3 John E Fry

John E Fry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

Wow, how interesting! Thank you!

Having not really investigated the wiring I didn't realise that connectors cables went right up the post. Looks like there might be little use we can make of that then. Ho hum, nevermind, just an idea.

Thanks again!

#4 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I have a wiring diagram somewhere, I'll try to find it when I get home. An operator here in Florida by the name of Andy Montejo has a franken-rig with EFP guts and he made breakout cables to use that connector for power/video to a PGM monitor for live productions.

#5 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

Here are some old CP manuals that include the wiring for that DB-9 connector you speak of.

Attached Files

#6 Will Eichler

Will Eichler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 40 posts
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

John,

In regards to an EFP upgrade, shoot a note to Brant Fagan. My first sled was an EFP. He did a bunch of mods to mine, including adding spacers to the battery bracket to shove it further aft and make it possible to dynamically balance. We also replaced the upper j-box and added a 2nd battery mount. It worked really good until I grew out of it and needed a larger rig.

Look him up and tell him I sent you.

Cheers,

Will

#7 John E Fry

John E Fry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:30 AM

Guys,

Thank you for your amazing advice & those diagrams! I shall look up your chap Will, cheers. Will let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again!

John

#8 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

Hi everyone.

While spending some idle time wondering at the EFP while it's here, I noticed the (VGA like) d-sub connector behind the battery plate on the bottom of the rig. I know it was supposed to connect to a recorder, transmitter & perhaps other things, but does anyone know specifically which devices? Or even better what the pinouts are for that connector so we can see if it might be utilised once again?

Also - if anyone has done an upgrade to an EFP (aside from Howard's MK-V one) like adding bars to the battery plate or monitor, did you custom make the parts or cannibalise off the shelf components? I can't just accept that this otherwise excellent & still very useful rig "cannot be dynamically balanced" without spending a fortune!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Hey there John,
I have an EFP that I did some mods on, and got dynamic balance. The bottom VGA looking connector connects to the limo plugs on the upper junction box. I rewired mine to use one of those pins for a Tally Light and added an HD line along with return video. I also made an extended monitor bracket and adjusted the battery cage to accomodate the new size batteries.

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems