• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lohengrin Zapiain

Lohengrin Zapiain

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

As Steadi ops, we get asked to do things that are not really either physically possible, safe for ourselves or just don't make any sense all the time, what's your top three? (this question just comes to me as I just heard about a director who asked a Steadi op to go through a car -from one side to the other- on one shot)

my recent ones:

doing a lock-off (not a Steadicam lock-off but a SFX lock-off)

going up a ladder

to operate more "handheld like" (I guess everybody gets this one once in a while)

#2 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 674 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:29 AM

The Human Tripod is the worse!, it's like an insult!, asking you to do a few shots with NO movement at all either before or after.

The ladder is a cool one, but the right ladder is imperative.

and Yes the "more handheld like" one has come up, I tell them just one word... "no", the steadicam is not for that", and not another word, I've gotten silence and chuckles from different folks.

"Can you operate the steadicam in a boat deep sea fishing?, I say, yes, but since the floor I'm standing on is still moving the shot will not be drastically better, and if they insist I ask them to verify with their insurance carrier since it's an added risk. They drop it when I ask them about insurance risks.

If you feel pain, danger, etc.. SAY SOMETHING!! that way you don't feel like a donkey later.

As Steadi ops, we get asked to do things that are not really either physically possible, safe for ourselves or just don't make any sense all the time, what's your top three? (this question just comes to me as I just heard about a director who asked a Steadi op to go through a car -from one side to the other- on one shot)

my recent ones:

going up a ladder

to operate more "handheld like" (I guess everybody gets this one once in a while)

#3 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

I have sadly gotten that one on numerous occasions. My favorite though has to be when they wanted me to stand in the middle of the road with the steadicam for a lock off of an RV skidding to a stop right up to the camera.... I trusted that particular stunt driver with my life multiple times during the shoot but I wasn't going to risk my life just to save time.

~Jess

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Teradek

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies