#1 michael carstensen

michael carstensen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cape Town, South Africa

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hi Guys

I just started this Breakfast show, it goes live on air at 05:30 every morning and goes off air at about 07:30. I dont usually do TV, but at this point in time work is work.

So I have the rig on for the full two hours and try and sneak a break and rest the rig with my assistant every chance I get. Somedays I am broken and somedays I feel stronger. The other problem, per say, is that we shoot in a loft style building on the top floor and because the show is so new they dont have budget for any fancy Transmitters, so I have this Tri-ax cable from the pits of a dark place attached to the camera.

My question to the forum is:

1.Is there a way to operate and make this cable my friend, I have heard of holding the cable with the same hand as I hold the gimble, restricting the cable from, throwing my balance off... But I found that uncomfortable too for some reason.

2. Preserving energy, I know its best to keep the rig as close to you at all times... is there anything else?

I hope you can help, thanks so much

Michael Carstensen
Cape Town, South Africa

#2 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hi Guys

I just started this Breakfast show, it goes live on air at 05:30 every morning and goes off air at about 07:30. I dont usually do TV, but at this point in time work is work.

So I have the rig on for the full two hours and try and sneak a break and rest the rig with my assistant every chance I get. Somedays I am broken and somedays I feel stronger. The other problem, per say, is that we shoot in a loft style building on the top floor and because the show is so new they dont have budget for any fancy Transmitters, so I have this Tri-ax cable from the pits of a dark place attached to the camera.

My question to the forum is:

1.Is there a way to operate and make this cable my friend, I have heard of holding the cable with the same hand as I hold the gimble, restricting the cable from, throwing my balance off... But I found that uncomfortable too for some reason.

2. Preserving energy, I know its best to keep the rig as close to you at all times... is there anything else?

I hope you can help, thanks so much

Michael Carstensen
Cape Town, South Africa

Search to boards for Tri-ax jumpers... that may be your only hope

The few times I worked with a fiber line, I dropped a loop off the left side of the camera to which I wrapped about three times around my arm dropped off the back of the vest and through my pointer and middle fingers (across the palm)

-Alfeo

#3 Rob Vuona SOC

Rob Vuona SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1143 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Michael,
We used to use the Triax to BNC adapters daily before the advent of fiber. go to

http://www.gepco.com...triaxtocoax.htm

and buy the male and female adapter.

Then all you have to fly is a baby spaghetti string size cable from the camera to the vest.

Hope that helps

Fly Safe

#4 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

Michael-

In the book (The Steadicam Operator's Handbook), on page 354, is another description and pictures of the technique Alfeo describes in his post.

I've used this technique with multiple (and stiff) cables (oh the early Genesis days) and survived. If you can get the triax adapters and some flexible cable, your operating can be as good as operating without a cable, or damn close to it.

Practice!

Jerry

#5 michael carstensen

michael carstensen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

Amazing

Thanks so much for your help, Its a good thing I have your book Jerry. :) Alfeo and Rob too, thanks, I will check to see if I can get a jumper here in SA.

Really appreciate guys,

Thank You
Mike

#6 richard bellon

richard bellon

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hey mike

eish....

catch u next week

#7 richard bellon

richard bellon

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hey mike

Perhaps resting the sled on an apple box would help during moments of you not being live, instead of going to dock at the stamdt

#8 michael carstensen

michael carstensen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:36 AM

Its such a tight Space and we have to run around so much, I really have to just hold on tight until the credits roll. No place for the stand, there is however a rather neatly placed butchers block they use in the kitchen set that I rest on and my assistant is there to hold on for me until we hit the floor running after the commercial break.

Catch up with you next week Rich

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Teradek

PLC - Bartech

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams