12 replies to this topic

#1 mark morgan

mark morgan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 177 posts
  • honolulu,hawaii

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

was kind wondering the weight of the f-35was or around when it is used on steadicam//////
primes,short zoom,preston,record deck,transmitter and whatever else you might think of
thanks to all

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:49 PM

Really F***ing heavy. On my XCS ultimate with 3 Dionic HC batteries it takes four black springs in my pro arm

#3 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

I have been using the f-35 a lot lately. It's 30 lbs with a 35 primo, SSR deck, 2 preston motors, cine-tape, clip on matte box, 2 filters, clock-it box, Pro plate and cables. The OB-1 deck seems to be a pound or two heavier than Panavision's SSR. Flying with out the SSR/OB-1 gets you down into the mid twenties, and using the SRW tape deck will get you to 40+ lbs. Too heavy IMHO for us humans to be flying, especially in the world of "keep it rolling, back to one!"

#4 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

Too heavy IMHO for us humans to be flying, especially in the world of "keep it rolling, back to one!"

That planet must have a moon called "Let's just shoot the rehearsal!"

#5 Rick Drapkin

Rick Drapkin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:34 AM

I have been using the f-35 a lot lately. It's 30 lbs with a 35 primo, SSR deck, 2 preston motors, cine-tape, clip on matte box, 2 filters, clock-it box, Pro plate and cables. The OB-1 deck seems to be a pound or two heavier than Panavision's SSR. Flying with out the SSR/OB-1 gets you down into the mid twenties, and using the SRW tape deck will get you to 40+ lbs. Too heavy IMHO for us humans to be flying, especially in the world of "keep it rolling, back to one!"

I'm on a show now in Hawaii and Greg Smith is flying 2 f-35s ,2 ultra primes, and 4 motors. Oh yeah and the 3-D rig itself !! His arm is maxed out and he is lifting about an additional 20 lbs. Today he did 8 takes in the sand about 50 yards. What an Animal !!

#6 joe carini

joe carini

• Sustaining Members
  • 15 posts
  • Honolulu, Hi

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

On Hawaii 5-0 & "Off the Map" we use the Sony F 35 w/ a short zoom and the recorder on the back. Also attached are 2 motors and a cinetape, matt box, etc. It's weight is almost the same as a panavison xl w/ 400' mag & 4-1.. it is a beast. Attached File  DSCN3859.JPG   114.59KB   133 downloads

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

On Hawaii 5-0 & "Off the Map" we use the Sony F 35 w/ a short zoom and the recorder on the back. Also attached are 2 motors and a cinetape, matt box, etc. It's weight is almost the same as a panavison xl w/ 400' mag & 4-1.. it is a beast. Attached File  DSCN3859.JPG   114.59KB   133 downloads

say howdi to Jeff Jur for me out there on "Off The Map"

#8 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

I'm on a show now in Hawaii and Greg Smith is flying 2 f-35s ,2 ultra primes, and 4 motors. Oh yeah and the 3-D rig itself !! His arm is maxed out and he is lifting about an additional 20 lbs. Today he did 8 takes in the sand about 50 yards. What an Animal !!

Animal is right...pack mule. I don't think I am physically able to do silly things like that and I am glad. Probably not unlike driving a car around at or near the redline, something's bound to go wrong -- if not now it will rear it's ugly head later.

That being said I better hit the gym since all this bad precedent is being set. I hope his rate is doubled knowing what the weight is.

Like I said before...I hope this stupid fad dies or the technology improves before my number is called!

rb

#9 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

I'm with Ron 100%.

I'm dreaming of the good old days with the Arri 535's (not that whimpy "B") and BL-4's... you could hump them all day and not work up a sweat!

Jerry

#10 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

I'm with Ron 100%.

I'm dreaming of the good old days with the Arri 535's (not that whimpy "B") and BL-4's... you could hump them all day and not work up a sweat!

Jerry

Sony's getting there
http://www.sony.co.u...mw-f3k/overview
That thing will supposedly be HDCAMSR compatible with an upgrade and a new flash based HDCAMSR recorder.

#11 joe carini

joe carini

• Sustaining Members
  • 15 posts
  • Honolulu, Hi

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Aloha Ron,

Jeff says 'Hi" & says you're one of the best operators he's worked with..

Happy Holidays,

Joe

#12 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'm with Ron 100%.

Jerry

Im with you guys! I will only work with an F-35 with the fiber setup out of NY. See photo.

#13 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

I'm with Ron 100%.

Jerry

Im with you guys! I will only work with an F-35 with the fiber setup out of NY. See photo.

Attached Files

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC