Has Anybody Ever Worked for Complete Idiots?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 invalid username

invalid username

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Well, it may just be my fault, but my most recent job was a total disaster.

A local television company had a 48-hour film festival this past weekend, which meant I could get better wages (higher demand) and an easier job (amerature films).

At first I totally loved the idea. But an hour in to the shooting, I felt like I was living one of those animated films you guys make.

To begin with, I can recount one scene where, just like one of your videos, I was asked to make a shot more rough. When I said I wasn't sure I could do that, the director requested that I GIVE MY STEADICAM TO SOMEBODY ELSE who he thought could do the shot better. SOMEBODY ELSE!!!

That was just the start. The cast made WAY too many DP jokes (and let me tell you that they did NOT mean director of photography).

Did I mention that this was a first-person perspective film? Yes, it was about a woman and her boyfriend, and the film was supposed to be through the eyes of this woman. They of course needed her voice in it, but at first instead of just doing a voice-over later, they wanted me to let HER fly the Steadicam the entire time. Like before, I didn't let anybody else use it, but the fact that some people are such idiots as to request this sort of thing is amazing!

Finally the film itself was terrible, and I really couldn't feel proud putting my name on it. Which isn't actually a problem, because I WASN'T PUT IN THE CREDITS! But guess who was credited as "Camera "? The woman who did the voiceovers!

I did end up getting payed a lot more than I think I normally do at my level, and did only have to work 4 hours, but needless to say I will never be so open about clients again.

Has anybody else dealt with this sort of situation before? I suppose the best thing to do would have been to walk away, but I figured I might as well finish and get my money.

Not the best start to my operating career.

#2 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:24 PM

I did end up getting payed a lot more than I think I normally do at my level, and did only have to work 4 hours, but needless to say I will never be so open about clients again.
Not the best start to my operating career.

Refer them to me if you don't want that job. I love saying things in person like: "No, the terms of my rental agreement clearly state that myself or another person I authorize are the only people to operate my equipment," and "Yes, you're still responsible for paying my invoice."

Did you get paid? Did you operate? Did you take something home more than just money (set experience, business experience, demo reel material, just one, all three)? I'd say that's a great way to start your operating career.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure someone, somewhere, has in fact worked for complete idiots.

#3 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

Lemme just answer you by saying this... If whoever you worked for happens by this forum and reads your post, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Thank you in advance for the entertaining read though

#4 nick franco

nick franco

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • San Fernando, CA

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

#5 Nick Karatsaousidis

Nick Karatsaousidis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

Have you ever been in situation when DP wants to make a white balance and check iris every time you picking up the rig? Or zooming-in the shot to a close-up and asking you to "Just RUN"? :)))

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research