Photo

Case For Pro With Steadyrig Batt Hangar?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

Just upgraded to the steadyrig batt cage and now need a new sled case, something I haven't thought about in a long time. Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 215 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hey Dave.

I had this issue when I bought my Steadyrig batt hanger. Some guys I know are taking their batt hangers off their sled when in the case and using Pelican 1650's. Too much excess wear and tear for my liking. I ended up getting a custom case made. A bit more expensive, but a much better option for me.

I do take my LCD monitor off the sled to put it in the case, had a foam area cut out for it in the same case.
Also have spots for dovetail plates, allen wrenches, standard arm post and a larger area for cables and or other bits and pieces.

JP

#3 Dave Chameides

Dave Chameides

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Who made your case and how much did it cost ya?

#4 James Puli

James Puli

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 215 posts
  • Australia wide! (depends where my car is parked)

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

I had it done by Aerolyte here in Melbourne Australia and it was about $600-$700aud, with the laser cut foam to my design etc. As a comparison a peli 1650 is about $550aud.

Im sure any custom case place would be able to do something for you.

JP

#5 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:08 AM

Dave,

I use a Modular 51 sled sock most of the time (lives in car when day playing and lives on a foam bed on the camera truck for long term gigs). For shipping, I have a custom A&J hard anvil style case. Steven Zuch is their East Coast rep and is very helpful. He came to my place and took a bunch of measurements then emailed me drawings. We even went as far as cutting a layout (with cheap ass foam) to "test" it, made a few more small changes, and then did the real thing. Foam and case are still done at the factory in LA. Not cheap, but a damn fine case (I think it came in at around $800). I'll email you Steven's info.

#6 Ramon Engle

Ramon Engle

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 506 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hi Dave. I have the same sled setup. Here's my case with an ususual foam. It's fairly strong but shock absorbing. When the foam is manufactured the Skin that is exposed to the air thickens. As a result the topside is more durable. The interior is good about not pilling or crumbling apart.
It's good stuff. South-pak is a local Atlanta company that did this for me. They've also formed cases for me where the interior was covered with a ballistic material like cordura to protect against wear and pilling. Good stuff.
They arent cheap but their work is top notch.

Hope this helps
Ramon

Attached Files

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

Dave,

I use a Modular 51 sled sock most of the time (lives in car when day playing and lives on a foam bed on the camera truck for long term gigs). For shipping, I have a custom A&J hard anvil style case. Steven Zuch is their East Coast rep and is very helpful. He came to my place and took a bunch of measurements then emailed me drawings. We even went as far as cutting a layout (with cheap ass foam) to "test" it, made a few more small changes, and then did the real thing. Foam and case are still done at the factory in LA. Not cheap, but a damn fine case (I think it came in at around $800). I'll email you Steven's info.

my current case came out WAY too big -- silly me asked for 2" to 2.5" of foam all the way around and made it big enough to fit the pro2 (I know, not a steadirig but close) without collapsing the rear batt mounts (oops). Luckily I had it made from coroplast instead of wood, which is still strong but shaves off many pounds. I am having a smaller/thinner case made and keeping the big one for shipping. It was just under $400 at Encore Cases in North Hollywood.

#8 Hugo_Langer

Hugo_Langer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 122 posts
  • Melbourne, VIC

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hi Dave,

It's Hugo here.

I agree with James. If you undo the six screws and remove the Lemo each time it's too much wear and tear on the junction box.

I suggest that you consider taking advantage of the fact that the PRO is modular and disconnect the lower junction box at the bayonet fitting at the bottom of the post. You can then rearrange the positioning of your equipment inside your case and then your only cost will be re-foaming the case. Some operators have solved the issue this way.

Regards,
Hugo

#9 David Baldwin

David Baldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 149 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

I've got a serious case of case-envy going with Ramon's set up. My PRO 1 with Hugo's Hanger lives on the front seat of my Toyota (buckled in of course) and for shipping it I break it down and stuff it into a Pelican 1610 in sort of a two-tiered way. Not feasible for an everyday case solution, but the two or three times a year that I need to fly with my steadicam gear this has worked out for me. I think the modular 51 solution would be the way to go since the sled is just sort of chilling in the passenger seat on a Del Taco bag.

Dave "that's just Del Scorcho sauce on the screen, bro" Baldwin

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

Teradek