Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • europe

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:28 AM

hi all

sorry for the really noob question,

was wondering when working with primes, and changing lenses for different shots does one rebalnce with the stage for a quick rebalance? or should one slide the batteries in/out? what is the best way to preserve dynamic balance?

or does one do both?

i did a job recently on the RED anf we were changing lenses almost every 5min eventually i gave up and muscled it for a take or two.

should one always try to maintain dynamic balance?

thanks all in advance

#2 Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Christopher T. Paul- SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

Absolutely rebalance every time. When dealing with primes, the 40mm somehow is often heavier that the other wide/medium primes and I always do a fine adjustment. Takes 5 seconds after I pick up the rig as I'm walking to my start mark. At this point I know that this adjustment is 4 turns of my front/back adjustment knob, and I just dial it in as the AC is changing lenses- so when they are done, I pick it up, do a quick check and go.

"Muscling it for a take or two" translates into starting a shot under less than optimal conditions- thus you are influencing the sled from the start. This is precisely what you don't want to do as the more we influence a shot, the more we see our hand in it.

Sorry but that's lazy and it shows up in the final product.

#3 Ken Nguyen

Ken Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 239 posts
  • California & Viet Nam

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

In your situation, no need to DB the rig. Just balance it static.
Balance it while wearing the rig. It's only take you no more than 30 seconds, but saving you a lot of trouble.
Ken Nguyen.

#4 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

If you balance both statically and dynamically for one lens, and then you change a lens, rebalance with the camera. Then when you are in static balance again, you will also be in dynamic balance again.

Balancing with the batteries or monitor, or changing the overall length of the sled, will take you out of dynamic balance.

But always rebalance - muscling through a shot is just reducing the quality of your operating or the choices you can make.

#5 robert weldoff

robert weldoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • europe

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

yes, i know muscling it was a bad idea and wont do it again, as thomas eddison said, it may have taken me 1000 tries to make a light bulb but at least i know 999 ways how not to make a light bulb

i just want to say thanks to all for your replies it has really helped and thanks again Jerry for helping a dumbass like me me :)

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Camera Motion Research

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions