• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lohengrin Zapiain

Lohengrin Zapiain

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

I just want to take a break on the Levine case to honor two great guys who have helped me (one in the past and one recently) on my Steadicam career.

First I was lucky enough to have attended a SOA workshop where Garret was present 100% of the time (I understand he sometimes has only a couple of days off to attend the workshops).

A few years later I moved to Canada and decided to finally invest on a rig and get my Steadicam career started, I contacted Garret who probably didn't remember me among all the students he gets to meet (not to say I was not the brightest on the class!) and he was extremely helpful in finding an Used Ultra to buy. I was shocked how such a busy man as him would take some time off his schedule and help an ex-student who he only met for a week. Thanks a lot Garret for that and for the excellent training I got at Chester Springs. I see operators all the time who by-passed any formal training (SOA or not) and it shocks me how the can even fly the rig (no alone that some of them are surprisingly good).

Second, I recently got an small Issue with my Ultra and posted a note on the forum. I got an immediate answer from Jerry, he also took some time off his busy schedule and found some very helpful technical information for me, saving me a trip to Cramped Attic (not that I don't love spending time with Hable but I'm trying to upgrade my arm and I still have a chunk of my rig to pay for).

Thank you booth Jerry and Garret, I fell blessed to be part of this community!

to more Jerrys and Garrets and a bit less of you know who ;)

#2 Scott Jason Gill

Scott Jason Gill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 78 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

I just want to take a break on the Levine case to honor two great guys who have helped me (one in the past and one recently) on my Steadicam career.

First I was lucky enough to have attended a SOA workshop where Garret was present 100% of the time (I understand he sometimes has only a couple of days off to attend the workshops).

A few years later I moved to Canada and decided to finally invest on a rig and get my Steadicam career started, I contacted Garret who probably didn't remember me among all the students he gets to meet (not to say I was not the brightest on the class!) and he was extremely helpful in finding an Used Ultra to buy. I was shocked how such a busy man as him would take some time off his schedule and help an ex-student who he only met for a week. Thanks a lot Garret for that and for the excellent training I got at Chester Springs. I see operators all the time who by-passed any formal training (SOA or not) and it shocks me how the can even fly the rig (no alone that some of them are surprisingly good).

Second, I recently got an small Issue with my Ultra and posted a note on the forum. I got an immediate answer from Jerry, he also took some time off his busy schedule and found some very helpful technical information for me, saving me a trip to Cramped Attic (not that I don't love spending time with Hable but I'm trying to upgrade my arm and I still have a chunk of my rig to pay for).

Thank you booth Jerry and Garret, I fell blessed to be part of this community!

to more Jerrys and Garrets and a bit less of you know who ;)

:D Well Said :lol:

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

I know that spelling is becoming increasingly less important (a shame, really) and it's almost frowned upon to mention online any more. It's understandable given that English is a bitch of a language if it's not your native one. However...it would be inappropriate on the Steadicam Forum not to point out that we owe our livelihoods to one Garrett Brown. I think that missing "T" actually stands for Tireless, as the man never stops coming up with new ideas of all stripes; and as Lohengrin will undoubtedly agree, his enthusiasm for teaching the craft and sharing his decades of wisdom on all things Steadi is second to none.

#4 Lohengrin

Lohengrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:58 AM

Hello Charles,

I can't describe how ashamed I feel about misspelling Garrett's name, I wish I could edit my post but I can't find how to do it.

For some of us writing in english gets a bit complicated as it is not our first language but this is no excuse for what I have done.

I shall pay for my mistakes with a full day of low mode Don Juan with a 3D rig.

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

BOXX