• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

I’m going to try and explain my question as best I can. So, I have taken the workshop, I own my rig and have practiced the “line dance.” My self critique is this; if I am walking strait towards a subject and start to make a change in my direction for example move left while panning right to keep my composition, I sometimes get this vary subtle but annoying side to side movement in the image. My horizon stays solid and doesn’t shift but there is this little side to side movement angularly that takes away that “dolly” feel.

If that makes any sense and you know what I’m talking about what are some of the things I can do in order to get rid of that side to side shift in my image.

#2 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Andre-

Just as it is impossible to walk around and hold a static shot, it's going to be hard to move your relatively large mass first in a new direction and expect no change in the sled's direction. Typically, it's move the camera first...

That said, and beyond even more practice, check that your gimbal doesn't have some stickyness. Also check that the arm's hinge joints are free. I also suggest taking a video of yourself as you do this move; you might discover something that way.

Sounds like you are being very critical of your work (good!); that's the first step in the right direction.

Jerry

#3 Tomas Riuka

Tomas Riuka

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Vilnius

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

practice... i had similar issue after courses, i had to change a little the way i walk, just try walk "smoother".

#4 Imran Naqvi

Imran Naqvi

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 221 posts
  • London. UK

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

practice... i had similar issue after courses, i had to change a little the way i walk, just try walk "smoother".

Quick thought and it may be obvious but if you're using a camcorder that has steadyshot, is this disabled? It can cause weird image wobble and lag on panning or with direction changes.

#5 Tomas Riuka

Tomas Riuka

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 236 posts
  • Vilnius

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

definintely, when on stabilizer,turn off camera OIS

#6 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

My experiecne with small cameras (DSLR) is that low rotational inertia means I can unintentionally pan the camera

of course practice helps but if you are flying a small camera you may want to consider increasing the rotational inertia of your rig

for example I fly my 5d with a vlock battery on the rails which spreads out the mass considerably

S

#7 Andre Trudel

Andre Trudel

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

Thanks guys. Jerry, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Thanks for your response.

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Teradek

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications