• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Will Culick

Will Culick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hi guys, I'm kinda new to the Steadicam world but am wanting to purchase a rig...EVENTUALLY. But for starters, I'm looking to purchase a Wireless Follow Focus considering I know two guys who have a rig but no WFF. I've been doing my research on the net and found that my price range falls around a BarTech and a VariZoom. I'm interested in VariZoom because of their new TOC (Total Optical Control) system. I'm sure a BarTech would be a good a beginner like me. However, I like the fact the VarriZoom TOC system allows me to pull Focus, Iris and Zoom since the high end systems (Preston, Scorpio, C-Motion) allows the 1st AC those very same options. Anyway, just wanting to know if the VariZoom TOC system would be the way to go. Any advice would help. Thanks guys.

#2 Bryant Swanstrom

Bryant Swanstrom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

The varizoom wireless focus system is basically a bartech thats been rebranded from what I understand. http://www.bhphotovi...llow_Focus.html

I have one myself and it is very solid. Love it.

#3 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

I don't think the TOC is what you think it is. I believe it is a wired remote for use only with their motion control/remote head. Not at all what you need for Steadicam. If you have access to rigs a Bartech sounds like a good purchase but most importantly if you want to do Steadicam you should take a workshop before doing anything else.

~Jess

#4 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 385 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

I've played with the Varizoom controllers, and rent a BFD for my rig. Varizoom does sell a rebranded BFD, but the "TOC" system is different - their take on an FIZ system. http://varizoom.com/...rols/vztoc.html

The controller feels nice in the hand - though the zoom control is somewhat strange in its placement. The motors seemed responsive (though this was on a showroom floor, so your mileage may vary), and the rig seemed decent. However, it is nowhere near the price range of a BFD! A wireless kit with one motor, receiver, and the hand unit is over $10,000. The hand unit alone is almost $3000 (and I don't know if that's the wireless or wired version).

I'd go for the BFD. It's solid as a rock and easy to use for you and for your 1st AC.

#5 Will Culick

Will Culick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

I've played with the Varizoom controllers, and rent a BFD for my rig. Varizoom does sell a rebranded BFD, but the "TOC" system is different - their take on an FIZ system. http://varizoom.com/...rols/vztoc.html

The controller feels nice in the hand - though the zoom control is somewhat strange in its placement. The motors seemed responsive (though this was on a showroom floor, so your mileage may vary), and the rig seemed decent. However, it is nowhere near the price range of a BFD! A wireless kit with one motor, receiver, and the hand unit is over $10,000. The hand unit alone is almost $3000 (and I don't know if that's the wireless or wired version).

I'd go for the BFD. It's solid as a rock and easy to use for you and for your 1st AC.

Thank you guys for ya'll's advice. It helps!!!

#6 Ivan Ivanov

Ivan Ivanov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi folks, I'm the owner of VZ-WFF Wireless Focus Control Kit my personal and humble opinion is that it is a pretty good choice for money's worth. Of course that holds the bartech nego.Za will take me the difference is negligible. I bought the kit because it varizoom. Works well for your money. Only the engine is slightly noisy in my opinion. I undoubtedly had the opportunity to work with real M-one motor and to compare them. It is best to speak Jim Bartel

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Teradek

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions