2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Jason Gill

Scott Jason Gill

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 78 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

I'm going to be working primarily with broadcast cameras. The majority only have zoom servos (not focus). I need Zoom, focus and iris and I need to be controlling it myself from the gimbal (no AC). The cheapest way I'm seeing to do this is two Bartech systems (for focus and iris motors) and a G-Zoom for lens zoom control. The G-Zoom will control lens zoom and one bartech (for focus) but this still leaves me without a gimbal mounted iris knob though. Seems like this would be a common scenario for live tv people but the only solutions seem to be high dollar wireless FIZ units.

Any ideas from you live operators?

#2 Colin Donahue

Colin Donahue

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 146 posts
  • Westlake Village, CA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Any ideas from you live operators?

Jason, Stanton Jimmy Jib also makes a gimbal mounted zoom focus controller and it has been discussed in many threads on this forum.
This still leaves iris. Bartech makes a gimbal mounted hardwire controller that will attach directly to the Bartech receiver by cable and will allow you to control an iris or focus motor by turning a small wheel. It is not really an item that allows smooth on air iris operating because the wheel is only about 3/4 in in diameter, but may work in a pinch or if you get used to it. It sells for $100.

#3 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

I've never had to pull Iris in any Live TV that I've done. Are you sure that this is necessary for the work you are doing? 99.9% of the time, iris is controlled by Shading. Even if you're not tethered, the common wireless units (broadcast quality) will allow iris + paint control..

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems