Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:14 PM

:blink: Howdy peeps B)

If anybody is attending the november optex course (bbc wood norton) please leave a msg. It would be realy cool to chat to people before the course starts.

Kind regards

4MaT

#2 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

I'm there!

I'm stopping at a Travel Inn in Evesham not too far from the course £48 per night if I remember correctly ... the one thing I wasn't keen on with the student accomodation is that you don't get a TV!

I own a Provid, and used to have a copy system, and I have to admin now I have a Steadicam, I can really appreciate quality equipment and I don't doubt the Master rigs will be even better!

I noticed that you commented somewhere that the course is November 27th? The one I'm attending is 17th - 19th November - hopefully we are on the same one!

Take care and see you there!

Jason

#3 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:12 PM

Hi jason

I'm there!

I'm stopping at a Travel Inn in Evesham not too far from the course £48 per night if I remember correctly ... the one thing I wasn't keen on with the student accomodation is that you don't get a TV!

I noticed that you commented somewhere that the course is November 27th?  The one I'm attending is 17th - 19th November - hopefully we are on the same one!

Take care and see you there!

Jason

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah were on the same course, i must have been mistaken with the 27th. Hey if you give me the number for the travel in i'l join you their. would be cool to have a friendly face to go to the first session with. Are you going down the night befor or traveling down the morning of the 17th ?

So how much did your pro-vid set you back ? i'm in the market for a new cam and steadicam at the moment. Sonys HVR-Z1 (cam info)
is tempting me but the xl2 might be more usefull with interchangable lenses. I also have use of sony dsr 570's so i might need a rig that can handel heavier cams.
Do you have any experience or info on light to medium rigs ?

regards
matt

#4 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:04 AM

I'll PM you the details of the hotel when I get tonight.

The Provid was £9,500 from Optex I bought it from Robin he's the coolest guy I've ever met!

I'm coming down the day before and stopping over, I have to find out where everything is first! I'm used to a Basson rig that was modded to hell, and then once that was done, it weighed a tonne but really helped that particular rig.

The Provid is a sweet rig, I love the Iso-Elastic arm and the sled is just so smooth, when I get my cam on top, it performs really well, nice and smooth, will try and dig some video out and lob it on here.

Jase

#5 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:37 PM

Have a good time guys, the course is excellent - it teaches you so much but yet it only touches the surface! Every time I use my rig I learn more. Practice is really important. I was on the course this time last year. Time flies...

#6 Mark Sayers

Mark Sayers
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2004 - 05:25 PM

I'm going to be there!

I'm attending the course with a friend of mine and as far as I know we're staying in the student style accommodation, which is absolutely fine because I've just graduated University myself.

Looking forward to seeing you all there

Mark

#7 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:58 PM

I'll PM you the details of the hotel when I get tonight.

The Provid was £9,500 from Optex I bought it from Robin he's the coolest guy I've ever met!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi jase
I'm going to get some funding pretty soon from the princes trust and business link. They say i can get an interest free loan of around 8 to 10 grand, i'm hoping that this will get me a rig i can use pro when i'm good enough. Are their gona be any hidden cost's that i should be considering ?

I have a great feeling about robin (not that kinda feelin) and i hear great things about him, thats the most important thing to me when choosing a course. A lesson i wished i'd learned a lot sooner in my life.

Cheers
matt

#8 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:03 PM

Practice is really important. I was on the course this time last year. Time flies...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Howdy

yes i'm sure i'l need loads of pratice after the course, i'm hopin to get my own rig pretty dam soon after. Carn't wait to strap that baby on and get a few blisters.

How did you finance your rig ? if you don't mind me askin.

regards
matt

#9 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:15 PM

I'm going to be there!

I'm attending the course with a friend of mine and as far as I know we're staying in the student style accommodation, which is absolutely fine because I've just graduated University myself.

Looking forward to seeing you all there

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hello Mark

Where did you grad from ? i was at leeds art collage doing photography digital imaging, then onto a trainee position as a news camera man and program editor. My god i don't recommend the last 1, but it did get me about 500 8 to 12 hour days behind the cam or editing.
looking forward to this course more and more each day. i'm gona be manic by the time it comes lol.

#10 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:43 AM

Practice is really important. I was on the course this time last year. Time flies...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How did you finance your rig ? if you don't mind me askin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure you'll have heard of Egg Finance? They're pretty good and have quite low rates.

#11 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:58 AM

Guys
Your scaring me!!
Robin

#12 Mark Sayers

Mark Sayers
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:54 AM

Hi Matt,

I graduated from the University of Sunderland where I studied Media Production (TV and Radio). I decided to major in camera op and took on some editing along the way. All my experience is in DV and I'm desperately after experience and knowledge of Digibeta, HD film etc etc... Problem is I'm in a post uni void of nothing but debt and I also live out in the country where very little happens (west berkshire) and the media industry is non-existent.

So, in the meantime i'm saving money to move to the bright lights of london and chase my dream. In the last year or so i've tried out a few rigs - namely the Steadicam Flyer at IBC in Amsterdam (where i met Robin). I'm really looking forward to the course, in fact just off to the gym now to build up those back muscles!!!

Mark

#13 Jason Williams

Jason Williams

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 189 posts
  • Lancashire, UK

Posted 03 November 2004 - 12:57 PM

Quite a few bods going so far!

Will be a good laugh, and all have the same thing in common!

Debating whether to bring my rig along .... I know Robin needs to look at it for something, bit unsure about leaving unattended during the day ... don't fancy trying to claim £17k from my car insurers!!

Jase :D

#14 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

Quite a few bods going so far!

Will be a good laugh, and all have the same thing in common!

Debating whether to bring my rig along .... I know Robin needs to look at it for something, bit unsure about leaving unattended during the day ... don't fancy trying to claim £17k from my car insurers!!

Jase :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should definatly bring your rig ! i'm sure you could keep it at a lock up at the studios or hotel even ?
That way i could have a look too hehe.

cheers for the otel details.

#15 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:08 PM

All my experience is in DV and I'm desperately after experience and knowledge of Digibeta, HD film etc etc... Problem is I'm in a post uni void of nothing but debt and I also live out in the country where very little happens (west berkshire) and the media industry is non-existent.

So, in the meantime i'm saving money to move to the bright lights of london and chase my dream. Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mark

What dv cams have you been using ? you will find most cams are pretty much the same from DV DSR 300's right up to digi beta and hd.
I'm thinking that DVCPRO 50 seems to be a good step up from dv. They are the same 4.2.2 color sampling as digi beta and at half the cost. The panasonic AJ-SDX900 looks freaking fantastic, and i've seen them second hand (ex demo) for £9000.click me
One thing however i have noticed from this forum is that you don't need your own cam. just a good rig.
As far as moving to london, good luck. i work quite a bit in london but would never want to live their. I think somewhere like brighton, leeds or manchester is a good bet (not as much competition as well).

laters

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

SkyDreams