• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Sumner

Brandon Sumner

• Sustaining Members
  • 16 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

I am using an MK-V Genesis. The last couple of jobs I have done with the RED Camera, when powering directly from my J-Box, the camera has powered down a couple of minutes after booting. I have disconnected all of the accessories trying to troubleshoot a potential cause.

Has anyone been experiencing power issues when powering the RED from their sled?

MK-V Genesis Sled
V2 electronics
using both IDX L-ion and Red Bricks

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

I am using an MK-V Genesis. The last couple of jobs I have done with the RED Camera, when powering directly from my J-Box, the camera has powered down a couple of minutes after booting. I have disconnected all of the accessories trying to troubleshoot a potential cause.

Has anyone been experiencing power issues when powering the RED from their sled?

MK-V Genesis Sled
V2 electronics
using both IDX L-ion and Red Bricks

Do a search on the forum and you will find that many have had this issue with voltage drop in mkv sleds. It's an easy fix to use a "y" cable if this is the problem.

#3 Brandon Sumner

Brandon Sumner

• Sustaining Members
  • 16 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Ron. I had searched the forum and seen topics on this "y" option. I will give a call to Terry West and see what he can do.

I talked with Howard at MK-V about this and he was unaware of the issue.

Thanks again.

#4 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Ron. I had searched the forum and seen topics on this "y" option. I will give a call to Terry West and see what he can do.

Thanks again.

No he's aware of it, he just won't admit there is a problem. When you try to pass 9 amps thru a 22gauge wire you get horrific voltage drop. It's a design flaw

#5 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Wich i have resolved with the V3+ cable.

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

I will state the obvious here and mention that a small mod needs to be done to one of the connectors/jbox in addition to getting the cable made.

It's amazing how much power is lost in the 4 stage post -- I used a mkv sled recently and was getting a low voltage warning on an f35/ssr deck with idx batts hot off the charger. But don't panic, the fix is fairly easy.

#7 Iain Baird

Iain Baird

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 269 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:01 AM

Thanks again.

Howard has been made aware of these issues multiple times by multiple operators and I find it deplorable that he would lie to someone, who's livelihood may depend on the response, just to save face. It's starting to stick in my craw that I still own some of his gear, even though some of it is built rather well. All he ever had to do was admit there was a problem, fix the problem and move on. The more I hear the denials the more I anger that I supported him in the past. OWN IT HOWARD - You built it - it's out there - and it doesn't work!!!!!!

IB

#8 Brandon Sumner

Brandon Sumner

• Sustaining Members
  • 16 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

When I posted this I did not intend for it to be a slam on Howard. Since he opened up the US office in Connecticut I have been up to see him several times. He has been very helpful to me on all of my upgrades and modifications. I have to say that I am a loyal customer of MK-V.

Obviously changes need to be addressed but MK-V builds solid rigs!

Thanks to everyone for their input on the actual problem.

#9 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Obviously changes need to be addressed but MK-V builds solid rigs

If you say so...

#10 Andrew 'AJ' Johnson

Andrew 'AJ' Johnson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 83 posts
  • Australia

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:00 AM

I will state the obvious here and mention that a small mod needs to be done to one of the connectors/jbox in addition to getting the cable made.

It's amazing how much power is lost in the 4 stage post -- I used a mkv sled recently and was getting a low voltage warning on an f35/ssr deck with idx batts hot off the charger. But don't panic, the fix is fairly easy.

Ron, whats the Y cable fix?
.AJ
Andrew 'AJ' Johnson
Camera / Steadicam / 'AR-Revolution'
Ph: +61 (0)414620249
www.ajrevolution.com

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems