2 replies to this topic

#1 Renaud Lagorce

Renaud Lagorce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Tours - Loire Valley - France

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hello, my name is Renaud, I am French and live in France in the Loire Valley.
I am a real fan of Steadicams, since I watched the demo tape you did with Ted Churchill (great work!!)

I bought a Steadicam Merlin + arm and vest a few years ago and I hope I get one day “a normal one” such as Flyer or Pilot model.

The reason I contact you is I almost finished translating in French your text “a dynamic balance primer”, and I would like to know if you would allow me to share it (for free) on the Web as you dofor French spoken persons. This means you agree I can use (almost) the same drawings as yours too, with only translated symbols and forces. What about the photos? Do you think I can use them too in my translated text? If not, what shall I do to use them in it?

Of course you will still be credited as the author of this primer.

One little thing you wrote I did not understand :

“It’s easier to operate if the monitor and camera face in the same direction or exactly 180° from each other” (Page 17)

What do you mean by “operate”? Do you mean “using the steadicam” for a shot?

what I don’t see is how camera and monitor would be set if they are in the “same direction” and opposite direction (180°), and I don’t understand why it would be easier in that way.

Thanks ever so much for reading this.

I hope I get an answer from you…

Kind Regards

Renaud
(This text was an email I try to send to you but which has not been achieved, because my email address has been considered as a spam)
Sorry for my english...I do my best

#2 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

One little thing you wrote I did not understand :

“It’s easier to operate if the monitor and camera face in the same direction or exactly 180° from each other” (Page 17)

What do you mean by “operate”? Do you mean “using the steadicam” for a shot?

what I don’t see is how camera and monitor would be set if they are in the “same direction” and opposite direction (180°), and I don’t understand why it would be easier in that way.

Renaud -

yes, by operate, I mean using the Steadicam for a shot. What I meant by having the monitor and camera face in the same direction is that the film plane (or sensor plane) and the monitor plane are not angled left or right from each other - another way to put it is that both planes are perpendicular to the lens axis - and it is possible to flip the monitor 180 degrees (face backward from the camera) for some shots. (you could probably eliminate that, as it is off the point).

Feel free to publish - just send me a copy when you are done.

Jerry

#3 Renaud Lagorce

Renaud Lagorce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Tours - Loire Valley - France

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

Jerry,

Thanks ever so much for your answer.
I am pleased you aggreed.

Text is almost done, now I have to draw all your figures with french symbols and forces
And then I will check if my translation is good with french professional opérators and Régis Prosper.

Boland Communications

Teradek

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX

BOXX

PLC Electronics Solutions

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery