3 replies to this topic

#1 raoulhenri

raoulhenri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hello,

I am using Steadicam Pilot, usually in combination with the Canon 7D.
I have discovered the following problem:
If my camera has a perfectly horizontal alignement (electronic level tool on 7D) I experience that the sled's post is leaning slightly to the left. Or in other words, if the post is straight, the camera leans to the left. So whether i have a crooked post (dynamic balance impossible) and a straight image or I have a straight post and a crooked image.

Does anybody experience the same problem? I start believing that the stage plate is slightly warped. I always treated my rig with the utmost care.

Thanks for the help

Raoul

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hello,

If my camera has a perfectly horizontal alignement (electronic level tool on 7D) I experience that the sled's post is leaning slightly to the left. Or in other words, if the post is straight, the camera leans to the left. So whether i have a crooked post (dynamic balance impossible) and a straight image or I have a straight post and a crooked image.

Does anybody experience the same problem? I start believing that the stage plate is slightly warped. I always treated my rig with the utmost care.

Thanks for the help

Raoul

Have you tried an external spirit level? Make sure that you are seeing the whole picture...check level at the camera plate against the electronic level.

#3 raoulhenri

raoulhenri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the help

Raoul

Have you tried an external spirit level? Make sure that you are seeing the whole picture...check level at the camera plate against the electronic level.

You were right, i used an external spirit level and the post seemed pretty straight.
Thanks for your help.

#4 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

You sure the picture is crooked... Or are you just trusting the camera level?

You can't trust a digital level (At least all the ones I've ever used)unless it has the ability to be calibrated. Unfortunately, you would have to send the 7D into Canon to get it perfect, and even then it will probably go out of alignment again at some point. That particular level is only good for a "kinda sorta" level horizon. You can set a couple of those side by side and they will probably both be slightly off by varying degrees. For the digital levels that do calibrate it's pretty easy, you just use a bubble level. So yeah, trust the "Analog" version first.

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

IDX

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

BOXX

PLC - Bartech