6 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Schumann

Graham Schumann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

I see this forum is largely for the pro crowd! By comparison I'm a pro still shooter looking to dabble.

Q) Will a Black Bird mounted on a Merlin arm/vest kit give me the ability to use 1D4/5DII with grip, + 70-200 f2.8 (worse case, but I have a ton of pro Canon glass), + new AA powered 5" Marshall monitor, for smooth "walking pan" style shots, etc, or is this simply too much weight for a little bird?

I can't see myself spending more than this for a play, but perhaps I should adapting the HD4000 to fly on the Merlin vest instead?

Many thanks.

PS I've done a lot of searching here, but only occasional mention of the BlackBird.

Edited by shoebox9, 02 July 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#2 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Please use your real name!

#3 Graham Schumann

Graham Schumann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Please use your real name!

No problem, I didn't realise it was manditory. Perhaps this (and good modding) is part of how you maintain such a civil/professional forum.

#4 Graham Schumann

Graham Schumann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

PS What I've described (approx 2.3-2.5kg) is less than the Black Bird's claimed max weight rating of 3.6kg, but I appreciate that doesn't always mean it will work well, especially when we're talking focal lengths greater than 100mm.

Edited by Graham Schumann, 02 July 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#5 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

I have a BB and a pilot

I consider the BB a nice handheld stabiliser

5d and 28mm is my preference

I cant see you getting an 80-200 or monitor onboard

----

My opinion is that the Pilot arm doesnt work well until it has a larger load than the BB (or merlin) can provide

----

I also have a pilot which has plenty of options with DSLRs for monitors and heavier lenses

----

On the 80-200 - well im still a newb but that lens requires a high skill level (beyond me) and probably an expensive remote Focus Device

ID get the BB and if you get the steady bug get a pilot at a later date

SMM

#6 Graham Schumann

Graham Schumann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Sam,

Other people have also said the Steadicam vests need a bit of weight to work well. What I don't understand is, why you can't add weight at the link between the BB/Merlin post, and the vest arm receiver? Then the BB/Merlin's flight wouldn't be effected, but the vest would see more G's...?

I've obviously underestimated how difficult it is to fly a steadicam/vest well, but regarding focus- I believe it's only a matter of time before we see Canon offering at least tethered focus control options. Their lenses already have good, reasonably high toque motors, and Canon want us to choose their lenses... You wouldn't think it would take all that long for the penny to drop for someone at HQ.

Heck, the 85 already has electronically controlled focus that can be as slow and subtle as you want it to be- just remote this control to a hand held USB wheel. Add on the ability to set focus stops (their super primes already offer this) and Canon would sell a lot more glass to budding videographers.

#7 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Sam,

Other people have also said the Steadicam vests need a bit of weight to work well. What I don't understand is, why you can't add weight at the link between the BB/Merlin post, and the vest arm receiver? Then the BB/Merlin's flight wouldn't be effected, but the vest would see more G's...?

You can and I have - its hard to do neatly - 500g dive weight is my weapon of choice for inertial tinkerings on stabilising devices of all natures, in terms o fhe inertia of the rig its dead weight

After infinite fiddling with the BB and Merlin I just got a Pilot

I bust the gimbal on my merlin and put jutter in my BB gimbal by over inertialisin them during the experimentations !

Aftermore fiddling with the Pilot (proper straps on the vest, smallHD monitor, Vlock batt, spirit levels ) Im begining to feel that I can begin to begin learning steadicam

I agree on future focus technologies - its the reason I have not bought a hocus focus

S

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

IDX

SkyDreams