• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I'm pretty sure we have this all figured out, but I thought I'd poll guys here and see if there was any valuable input.

FYI, I have a bit of a Frankenrig including:

PRO Upper J Box
XCS 2" Telescoping post with PRO connectors
XCS Gimbal
MK-V Nexus battery base w/ both AB & V mount battery mounts

Here's my problem. Although MK-V told me the Nexus base would be completely PRO compatible, not so. The AUX power on the PRO upper J Box is not hot, and MK-V had no fix for me. This becomes problematic when you try to power a Genesis (or F35) with the VTR on board. I don't normally carry the VTR, but for the occasional off speed shot.

Phil Cremer of Panavision Toronto has a mod that solves this problem. The idea is to route the 3rd battery directly into the Nexus base & connect it to the post cable's AUX power lines that are currently unused. Since I don't plan on buying an AR, we were going to swap out the 5 pin AR connector (on the front of the Nexus battery base) for a 4 pin battery connector. When I'm shooting Genesis, I simply plug that 3rd battery into this spare battery input on the Nexus base, and boom, the AUX power is now fed directly from the 3rd battery. I use a normal Genesis PRO Y power cable, and problem solved.

I know it sounds pretty straight forward. If anyone has a thought on why this might be a bad idea, I'd love to hear your reasons. Also, if anyone has already done this mod (or other ones with Phil Cremer), it'd be great to hear about your results.

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

Paralinx LLC