• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Kazista

Lee Kazista

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Curious what lenses people have had any issues with when it comes to mapping the focus on a HU3.

We learned today that the Arriflex Master Zoom is not a linear lens, and as such it can not be mapped properly. I know that there are other lens out there that have this same issue. I would love to put together a list of lenses to include with our kits showing what will present problems to try and save the AC's some hours of troubleshooting trying to figure out what is wrong when indeed everything is actually OK.

BTW - the way to check and see if the lens is linear or not, is when you calibrate you will be asked to hit INF and 5 marks throughout the barrel. If those 6 marks are spot on, but everything between them is off, then the lens must not be linear.

#2 Frederic Chamberland

Frederic Chamberland

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 279 posts
  • Montreal

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

RED Pro Primes (from 18 to 100) can't be mapped with the HU3. I have asked Preston to have a look at this problem, I have not received any update or news about this yet.
Thanks for starting this thread.

#3 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 921 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

I had the same issue with the Red primes, but I think one or 2 of them worked. At any rate, the ones that didn't I was able to calibrate starting the CF at a couple inches away (I think CF was 10 and I put it at 12). I had to guess the last mark, which I didn't nail the first time one each lens, but afterwards everything lines up except closer than where I set CF. Ghetto to be sure, and wholly unnecessary, but I had plenty of time to play around that day, so I gave it my all.

#4 brooksrobinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:52 AM

The show I’m on is using the newer Panavision G series anamorphic prime lenses up to 100mm. We have marked separate rings for these, as they did not seem to line up with the pre-marked HU-3 rings. The supplemental E series 135mm and 180mm we are using work just fine with the pre-marked rings.

Brooks Robinson

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC