4 replies to this topic

#1 paul magee

paul magee

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 64 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:43 PM

I was in downtown Philadelphia Tuesday night and saw a restored print of "One from the Heart" playing at the Prince. It was a nice Restoration and it brought back a lot of 80's memories and had me hummming Tom Waits tunes all day today but the real treat was getting to hear Garrett Brown give his spin on the making of this "failed masterpiece"
If you get a chance to see the film it's worth it for the stagecraft alone. I think the restored DVD is already available.

Always a pleasure to hear the big guy talk.

Paul Magee

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 January 2004 - 04:21 PM

Cool! I saw the new print in LA and while you have to respect the movie visually, I found it pretty lackluster from a story/performance level (although I loved Raul Julia). It would have made it much interesting to hear GB's presentation.

#3 PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 880 posts
  • New York City

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

A loooooooooooong time ago, American Masters did a few shows on famous DP's. Storraro was one of the masters featured. There was behind the scenes footage of he, Coppola and Garrett. GB was shooting the dance scene with lots of cars in the fake "Strip". Long complex move, BL, some backing up, some not, and it ended with a cool as heck step-on to a wooden platform mounted to a crane.

I think I've got that tape somewhere. Hmmm.....

Peter Abraham, E.M.T.

#4 PatrickvanWeeren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Amsterdam The Netherlands

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:55 AM

Dear Peter,

It's on the "Writer with light" documentary on Vittorio Storaro. Which is an amazing piece of cinema-know-how.

Kind regards to mister "Who said MINI means little?..."

Patrick van Weeren

#5 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 261 posts
  • London

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:01 AM

Theres a link on the "One from the Heart" website to the 1982 American Cinematographer article that Garrett wrote about his experiences on the movie.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems