Photo

Does a SR3 with IVS need a low mode bracket?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

I know Jerry Hill sells one but it looks like it only attaches to the two 3/8-16 holes in the handle so does it really do much besides giving you a place to mount iris rods? Am I fine just screwing my plate into the handle using two screws?

Thanks,
Jess

#2 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Looks like its an SR3 Advanced with the IVS tap

#3 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

I guess no one remembers film cameras... That's sad. Atleast I get to spend next month working with one :-)

~Jess

#4 Joshua Harrison

Joshua Harrison

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 127 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

I guess no one remembers film cameras... That's sad. Atleast I get to spend next month working with one :-)

~Jess

probably no one replied cause there was too many different configurations out there. There is at least three different types of handles that I remember the key difference being length and if it swung out to make room for reloads. Obviously the one that swings out is very bad for just attaching a plate. I would recommend a bracket even if it is a non-moveable handle but depending on how much low mode you do it is do-able without. Usually the rental house will have the bracket you need so you may not need to purchase one just for this job.

Josh

#5 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

~Jess

probably no one replied cause there was too many different configurations out there. There is at least three different types of handles that I remember the key difference being length and if it swung out to make room for reloads. Obviously the one that swings out is very bad for just attaching a plate. I would recommend a bracket even if it is a non-moveable handle but depending on how much low mode you do it is do-able without. Usually the rental house will have the bracket you need so you may not need to purchase one just for this job.

Josh

I think the one tbat Jerry makes also attaches to the front "shoe" for a bit more rigidity, though all the handles are wonky and vibrate (especially the swing away ones). His old sr 1, 2, 3/arri 3 low mode bracket is rock solid (and rare) if you can barrow one for your shoot.

#6 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

The SR3 Advanced doesn't have the front shoe but does have two screw holes in the handle. Jerry Hill has a specific low mode bracket but it looks like it only attached to the two screws in the handle. I guess my best bet is to talk to Jerry. I can have them get me the low mode bracket just wanted to see if I needed it before I start pushing for things since it looked like I might not.

~Jess

#7 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

The SR3 Advanced doesn't have the front shoe but does have two screw holes in the handle. Jerry Hill has a specific low mode bracket but it looks like it only attached to the two screws in the handle. I guess my best bet is to talk to Jerry. I can have them get me the low mode bracket just wanted to see if I needed it before I start pushing for things since it looked like I might not.

~Jess

Always start with more than you need. Tell them you need it, and don't wait. If you later decide you don't need it, you can use the savings to either be a hero or get something else, or your 1st can. If you strip everything down at the beginning, you'll have no room to get that thing you need on day 12. Or you'll simply end up with not enough stuff.

Add it on at the rental house, test it both ways, then keep it regardless. You can always return it later or use it as a way to cut down the rental before you leave. But I'm pretty sure you want it, as it adds a lot of rigidity, like Ron said.

IIRC, it's the fact that you have a different optical block for the IVS that changes the handle, not the fact that it's an Advanced. Shit, I used to know all the little differences between versions of cameras...

#8 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

IIRC, it's the fact that you have a different optical block for the IVS that changes the handle, not the fact that it's an Advanced. Shit, I used to know all the little differences between versions of cameras...

Correct, although I believe the advanced came with the IVS from the get go where as an older body would have been retrofitted with it. Or am I wrong about that? Doesn't really matter as the camera in question has it.

The AC owns the camera package and will be bringing it with him from a different city than we are shooting in. Prep will be done on location not at a rental house and I don't think he has the low mode bracket so it will have to be sourced elsewhere hence the wondering if it is necessary.

This is the low mode bracket: http://www.steadimov...m/sr3ivslmb.gif

~Jess

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

BOXX