• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 915 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

Here are 2 pictures of a shooting I did on a typical Thai movie, so with lots of gunfight and blood, but as they say here,it is an action/COMEDY movie.........

Nothing special other than this was of course a shot in the dreaded middle part of our operating reach, to low for highmode, to high for low mode.
My rig has 2 monitors here, one mounted on the Preston unit, closer to the camera. I hate staring into the sky while operating a camera 3 foot lower.
Arri 435, 100 fps, 50mm lens on f2.2 (sweating focus puller), my own low-mode bracket, there is of course no SL-mag and Hill Low-mode available.

the guys are already half dead but with their last efforts they blast eachother to hell.
I do a push-in to the white guy, who falls out of frame while I whip-pan and push-in to the black guy that has the last laugh/gorgle in his own blood and falls backwarts too.

All very uplifting and done in the nicest possible taste ;)

#2 guillermo nespolo

guillermo nespolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:23 AM

so why i just lower your monitor.....in low mode...insted of puting other monitor on the camera?....
i now that sl mags are to expensive..but u can find the old long throat mags that for low mode have the same job done...i say this cause i get to hate the low mode cage....and some times gime me some vibrations....
thanks for puting pic on the forum o love to se pics.....i gonna put some of mine.
with a arri 3 and 6x6 matebox ..ones the foget to thake the clip on to the set :P

#3 RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 915 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:34 AM

Well, as you can see, the rig is already very long, because of the normal magazines and therefore the extended low-mode bracket. I made mine with extension tubes, so I can make it much smaller for when I have a SR3 or Aaton.
When I want my monitor lower, which is not possible with a Master, than I would bring more weight down, so I need an ever longer rig or more weight at the base.
Also, the gimbal is already way down (or up against the breakout-box, not much room left)
I´m not sure if bringing your monitor down is a good thing.

The second monitor weights only about 200 grams, not a big deal and it makes operating a whole lot more convenient as I am now looking in the same direction as the camera.

And yes, please. Post more pics, that is for everyone! I love to see other operators in action with their specific solutions of shots and rigs.

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC