4 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Cogar

Charlie Cogar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi folks,

Is anyone using a JVC GYHM-700 HD cam on a Steadicam Pilot?

The Pilot was recommended by the sales rep but I've never been able to get the cam balanced on the arm. Dynamic balance is fine, but I believe the spring arms are too light.

Tiffen compatability charts don't show this cam, and there's no trade-in or trade-up policy.

Is the Flyer the right rig? Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Charlie Cogar
Omaha, Nebraska

#2 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Weigh your camera set-up. If it is over 10 lbs, you need a bigger rig. If it is under 10 lbs, maybe you have too many weights attached to the Pilot?

#3 Charlie Cogar

Charlie Cogar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Thanks, Brian.

I've weighed the cam with and without its attachments. The cam without the on-board Anton Bauer batt, and w/o the viewfinder and mic weighs 7 pounds 9 ounces. (Powering the cam from the monitor batt.)

The cam has a Fujinon 17x lens; I have the cam's CG, and static balance is great. However in the drop test it goes awry. On the vest it pulls way forward and left wanting to pull me over. If I don't grab the cam it'll go splat.

I experiment with the upper and lower arm adjustment knobs, and the in/out knobs are "set according to the book."

At 7# 9 oz. I'd think it would balance.

Whaddya think?

Thank you,

Charlie C.

#4 Santiago Yniguez

Santiago Yniguez

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 43 posts
  • Glendale, CA

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hey Charlie,
What exactly happens to the rig when you do your drop test? If the rig is floating away from you, your "in and out" thumb screws on your socket block are not adjusted correctly. Thread the top thumb screw clockwise till it stops floating away from you. Just make sure that the bottom screw is threaded all the way in when you find your sweet spot with the top screw.

As far as it going left, the side to side adjustment is off. For the side to side, thread the bottom bolt all the way in then back off about a quarter turn. With the top, start with the bolt all the way in, then thread it out about 3 full turns. From there you'll be in the ball park. If it still floats left, back the bolt out. If it floats right, thread it in.
Hope this helps,

Santi

#5 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

What Santiago said, except to add: It's a balance of you and the settings. If you were to kick your hip way out to the right, that would also keep the rig from flying to the left. That was just to illustrate the point, don't do that! If you adjust the screws and find a good spot, you may find that it doesn't work next time, that's because you are standing differently. You want to stand straight, with good posture. Changing the angle of your shoulders can affect where it pulls. Finding the sweet spot where you are balanced with the rig can take a lot of trial and error, especially without someone helping you. Keep at it, you'll find it!

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

IDX

SkyDreams