• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Shu

Michael Shu

• Sustaining Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hi Guys,

So I just tried out the 7D on a Pilot with a mass of (borrowed) merlin weights on either side of the stage. It handled surprisingly well, but I would like to find the most ideal way to add weight to the stage without stressing it out with 5 full merlin weights on each side (10 total, yeep). Our good friends at steadicam recommended a weight cage and I would love to get a 5 ish pound weight cage, but I know those aren't the most readily available things. StillMotion loves using the cinevate pegasus cage, but it looks a tad top heavy rather than the ideal fore-aft distribution. I was wondering if anybody mounted the 7D with some good ideas of giving more weight to the unit.

Also, I was wondering if there are custom short cables for composite-out from the 7D. Currently, the cable is a meter in length and has the unnecessary audio L/R connections I have to messily gaffers tape down. I heard of custom cable sellers before but don't know where specifically would be a good place to look for this particular kind of cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Richard W. Davis

Richard W. Davis

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

Our good friends at steadicam recommended a weight cage and I would love to get a 5 ish pound weight cage, but I know those aren't the most readily available things. StillMotion loves using the cinevate pegasus cage, but it looks a tad top heavy rather than the ideal fore-aft distribution. I was wondering if anybody mounted the 7D with some good ideas of giving more weight to the unit.

Janice Arthur (forum member) sells a really well made weight cage with several different weight plate options... including some 2 lb plates, with rods might just be the weight range you need. Really well made with a vast amount of mounting optionsincluding iris rod mounts for PRO style rods. I just bought the heavier combination and have used it to great success.

Rich Davis
LA

#3 Carl Wiedemann

Carl Wiedemann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Michael,

I’ve been using a Canon 7D with an IndiRAILSpro XV™ 18 on the Pilot.

http://indisystem.co...ndirails_pro_xv

It has an adjustable riser block and 18 inch rods for mounting weights and accessories. Weight can be added at the ends of the rods, which I find enables a better distribution than a cluster of Pilot/Merlin weights by the stage. The rods also have space for mounting a Bartech or wireless gear, matte box, etc. The IndiRail rods are light weight carbon fiber which leaves more leeway for adding accessories or large lenses than a weight cage will.

Carl

#4 jorge agero

jorge agero

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 94 posts
  • madrid(SPAIN)

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

This is my first work with my 5D and I had to burden the most daring camera 3kg more canatrans and bdf plate and worked very well.
Jorge Agero
Steadicam-PRO

#5 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hi Guys,

So I just tried out the 7D on a Pilot with a mass of (borrowed) merlin weights on either side of the stage. It handled surprisingly well, but I would like to find the most ideal way to add weight to the stage without stressing it out with 5 full merlin weights on each side (10 total, yeep). Our good friends at steadicam recommended a weight cage and I would love to get a 5 ish pound weight cage, but I know those aren't the most readily available things. StillMotion loves using the cinevate pegasus cage, but it looks a tad top heavy rather than the ideal fore-aft distribution. I was wondering if anybody mounted the 7D with some good ideas of giving more weight to the unit.

Also, I was wondering if there are custom short cables for composite-out from the 7D. Currently, the cable is a meter in length and has the unnecessary audio L/R connections I have to messily gaffers tape down. I heard of custom cable sellers before but don't know where specifically would be a good place to look for this particular kind of cable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the 7d on rails 30cm long

I did have a diving weight at the back of the rails and the camera to the front

that gives the long mass distribution

I have now swapped the weight for a Vlock batt up top, and all the masses from my pilot and merlin at the bottom

still playing with that config but it gives me a decent battery instead of the annoying AAs I bought with the rig

S

BOXX

Teradek

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

SkyDreams

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions