#1 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

Today on set all three of my Hirose connectors on my sled stopped delivering power. They are all regulated 12V, so I suspect something on the circuit board has gone bad, but I can't seem to locate it. All other power is working fine. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

UPDATE: Looks like my video has been knocked out too. VDA gone bad perhaps? Wondering how the video and the regulated 12V are related like that so if one goes they both go.

#3 Jamie Hammond

Jamie Hammond

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 91 posts
  • Bedford Uk

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hi Afton,
I know your pretty techie so you have probably checked this already. I recently changed over my original crt to a transvideo cine3a. in doing so I had a fly lead made so I could keep the original crt as back-up. What I didn't do was re cable the existing hirose cable that fed through the monitor mount. This ment that I was bending the cable quite a lot and probably due to this, old cable and wear and tear the cables actually broke or sheared inside, causing the power to short with video. This was on a prep the day before a shoot which led to a not so nice franken-rig for the shoot day. As I said, you have probably checked all this but at the time this was blowing fuses in the batteries and I had no power or video plus because of the webbing around the cables made this very difficult to find. Might be worth a look.

Hope your well

J

#4 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 737 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

Afton-

There is a power supply board underneath all the other boards that provides +12V via one DC-DC converter, and +5V and -5V via another DC-DC converter. The first sends power to the hirose's, the other powers the video and horizon boards. There are several caps on this board that may have gone bad. It's also possible that the board or the connector may have come unseated.

Jerry

#5 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

Jamie,

I've got the same setup with the Transvideo. I checked the wiring and all is fine. Thing is, the monitor gets power, just no video. Probably going to rewire anyway because I can see a bit of wearing of the insulation at certain points.

Jerry,

Thanks a ton for the info. A few quick tests with the meter on the circuit board shows the Acon D15S1212 DC to DC converter receiving the full battery voltage in, but nothing is coming out. Looks like none of the normal electronic distributors stock the product. I'll check with Acon directly. Would Tiffen have any of these on hand? Any idea of the price? I found what seem to be a few suitable replacements in the $50 range.

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

BOXX

SkyDreams

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications