8 replies to this topic

#1 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:46 AM

I got a couple of fmg motors, but the are not really strong imo. I got a few stiffer primes and with some of them the motor wont do the job. Is the heden M28VP stronger? Or is there another that handles stiffer primes better? i use the bartech's so no digital motors i guess. I need something with high torque.

Thx for the advice

Greets

#2 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

I can't say if the Heden is stronger than an FMG-6 but it is certainly a better quality product. I have a Heden and it is nice and haven't noticed any problems (I have a Bartech/M28-VP as a back up or additional system...don't use it very often though). I had issues with the FMG-6's slipping but that was over 10 yrs ago.

I'd skip the guessing and go for an M-1. It's really fast and as strong as a preston DM-2 motor.

Ron

#3 JensSchroeder

JensSchroeder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

I got a couple of fmg motors, but the are not really strong imo. I got a few stiffer primes and with some of them the motor wont do the job. Is the heden M28VP stronger? Or is there another that handles stiffer primes better? i use the bartech's so no digital motors i guess. I need something with high torque.

Thx for the advice

Greets

Hi Job,

I have both motors + the BFD and can definitely say that the M28VP is much stronger and should be able to handle stiffer primes.

Cheers,

jens

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

My M28VP has had trouble with stiff super speeds on a couple of occasions. To be fair they were extremely stiff but I have been led to believe that the M-One is a little better in this regard. Haven't actually had the chance to try it though.

#5 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

thx guys. I hope somebody could clear it up for me. i see 2 different opinions about the m-1 and the heden. wich one is the better bet?

#6 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

I dunno Job, all the posts seem to agree with the following: M-One>Heden>FMG, at least so far as strength goes, with varying levels of experience with each. I will agree as well, having used both the M-One and Heden.

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

I edited my post as it was confusing how I worded it -- I was comparing the FMG to the Heden when I was talking about the Heden being a better quality product. I have never owned an M-1, but I'm sure it would be stronger.

rb

#8 Louis Puli SOC

Louis Puli SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Australia ,New Zealand

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi Everyone
As I own 4 different types of motors this is how I would rate them .For me when looking at motors there 3 main areas 1. Power . 2 Mounting the motor and 3. Noise of the motor.
As for Power the M1 wins hand down (but I have had issues with noise but after a service has been fine ) coming in 2nd the Heden 28vp just works well and 3rd the SLD motors work fine but I have had issues with mounting them and 4th the Heden26p ( we all know what they are like )But saying that on video lens they work fine .
I had a problem with master Primes the other week with my Preston md2 motors so I changed it to a md1 motor and all was well .
For me If it can move a Zeiss supper speed 18mm focus then it passes the test as a motor with enough power .
As I have never owned a FMG motor I can'nt comment.
Job I would get my assistant ( where possible)in pre to test all lens and get the rental house to regrease/service lens that are stiff .
Good luck
Louis Puli
For the record I own 6 x28vp 2x M1,3x SLD,4 x26p

#9 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:33 AM

Thx a million louis. i know enough, very big help.

Greetings Job

SkyDreams

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC