2 replies to this topic

#1 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

While I'm here I might as well post some other pics of steadicam work of the past year and a half. Not too long ago I had to do a shoot on 35mm and I was wondering of my steadicam would be able to cope. It was a student's graduation-project so I tried my best.

Attached File  IMG_0237.jpg   71.48KB   182 downloads

It was a Aaton 35-III. Weight-wise my body, the vest and the sled were able to handle the weight, even the arm was able to hold it, until after the third rehearsal or so. The directors assistant called in the actors to make the shot, I put the sled on the arm, lifted everything on to the arm and then disaster, the arm post broke off and shot through the building, I was able to hold the sled and dock it safely. Metal fatigue was the cause but it surprised me that this didn't happen earlier. I have had heavier cameras on my rig (big XDCam with pro 35 etc). Needless to say this incident scared me as much as it scared the rest of the crew.

The shot that had to be made was a straight line walking shot from across a prison corridor (they didn't really need steadicam but they wanted the feel of a steadicam-image) so instead they opted for a handheld-on-dolly-shot.

Again I would like to apologize to the entire crew. I promise never to take camera's that are too heavy on my rig until i've got enough money to buy an Steadicam Archer (or better)

P.S.: A week later the armpost was fixed and running better than ever.

#2 Lohengrin Zapiain

Lohengrin Zapiain

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

"(they didn't really need steadicam but they wanted the feel of a steadicam-image)"

I thought the whole idea of Steadicam was to MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A DOLLY SHOT, if that is the case and you have a dolly handy why don't you shoot it on the dolly on the first place?

or am I just and old fashioned operator?

#3 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

"(they didn't really need steadicam but they wanted the feel of a steadicam-image)"

I thought the whole idea of Steadicam was to MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A DOLLY SHOT, if that is the case and you have a dolly handy why don't you shoot it on the dolly on the first place?

or am I just and old fashioned operator?

i have nothing against making a steadicam as stable as a dolly shot (i was honored with the fact that i could shoot on 35mm for the first time). They (the crew) were the ones that said they didn't need a steadicam for the shot but that they wanted the feel of a steadicam-image. I want to be the best operator i can be and in my opinion it IS making a shot looking like a dollyshot and as stable as possible.

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

Teradek

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

IDX