2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

I'm thinking about upgrading my 2nd gen Flyer's LCD (and repurposing it as a backup/prompter/program return monitor) and wondering if anyone has experimented with some of the "budget" monitors.

I'm mostly interested in adding improved daylight/sunlight performance and adding HDMI (to accommodate the Canon 5D/7D/T2i cameras). I understand that it's not all about nits, but also AR coatings, LED vs. LCD backlighting, etc. HD resolution and HD-SDI inputs would be a bonus but not really necessary at this point.

I'm not in a position to go with a high-end solution at this time, so I'm limiting myself to considering under $1k units.

This modified transflective/optically-bonded Lilliput looks promising. Anybody have experience with this or similar? What about the 1000nit Xenarcs? First-person reports would be very valuable. Thanks!

Lilliput transflective bonded from mo-so-co
Lilliput transflective from MP3car.com

#2 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1144 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

I know its out of what your are budgeting but if I were you I would seriously consider this Marshall: http://www.bhphotovi...op_Monitor.html

It is as cheap as you are going to get with good daylight viewability in a monitor that is really suitable for what we do. At the monitor shootout it was one of the best performing LCDs there in terms of daylight viewability. Its main drawbacks are the lack of certain features such as image flip and adjustable framelines but you are going to spend significantly more to get a monitor with those features and good daylight viewability (the Nebtek would be the next one up in price)

It is available with HDMI but I think you lose HD-SDI to get it. You would be much better off with a blackmagic box for many reasons but of course that would add another $500 or so.

#3 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Jess, thanks for the perspective. Yeah, I've been following the shoot-out thread. The Marshall definitely has some useful features and great daylight performance.

My thought process is this: the stock Flyer monitor is basically just a 500nit prosumer monitor (perhaps with some anti-glare enhancements). I can justify an incremental upgrade to another prosumer monitor IF it offers the HDMI input and a viewability boost. I can forgo some of the niceties that my current monitor lacks anyway.

Regardless of the benefits of the Marshall, my business plan can't justify an $1800 monitor upgrade on my current rig. If and when the type and volume of work justifies it, I will upgrade to a whole new rig. Right now my bread-and-butter is low budget documentary, corporate, event and commercials. I choose carefully what jobs I say "yes" to, based on my skill level and capability of the rig...as I slowly and meticulously expand on both, until I outgrow the rig.

But who knows, with NAB looming, there may be some great clearance deals soon on this Marshall that put it in my budget. That would be great!

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus