7 replies to this topic

#1 Donny

Donny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

hello glad to be here!
just a quick question i need some help with.
*warning total noobie*
Just wanted some advise for which steadicam you would suggest me getting for the canon 7d??? anything you have to say would be greatly appreciated. I plan to someday do weddings, although most of my work will be travel videos. I live in the us and travel to africa, asia, europe, so size could be an issue. Also my budget is pretty small (please dont make fun) i know this is an expensive hobby, and yes most of my work will be for personal use.

-Donny

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

hello glad to be here!

<Snip>

-Donny

Donny,

Please use your Full real name for your screen name.

Good luck on your search

#3 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

hello glad to be here!
just a quick question i need some help with.
*warning total noobie*
Just wanted some advise for which steadicam you would suggest me getting for the canon 7d??? anything you have to say would be greatly appreciated. I plan to someday do weddings, although most of my work will be travel videos. I live in the us and travel to africa, asia, europe, so size could be an issue. Also my budget is pretty small (please dont make fun) i know this is an expensive hobby, and yes most of my work will be for personal use.

-Donny

Hi and welcome Donny. This topic has been discussed before. I take it you did not do a search. So to give you a simple and direct answer - The Pilot should fit your need with the 7D perfectly. :) Travelling lots. Exciting.

Edited by Charles King, 29 March 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Stefano Ben

Stefano Ben

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 106 posts
  • Italy

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

Hi! In my opinion, The Calicocam "Black Angel" it's the best and perfect solution for you. I've got it for the Canon 5d! Its manuality and control are fantastic also with a zoom lens! The "millimetric plate - donkey box" works exelent and the great ideas of this little steady, it's its weights (you can quickly add one by one) and the exstensible post for easy support any kind of lens mounted on your camera. Trust! It's a wonderfull steady and will give you more satisfactions than a simple Merlin! ;)

This is the link on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4149c9b92f

Watching also this demostration video:

#5 Donny

Donny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

wow thankyou everyone... this is a great start!

-Donny

#6 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

Just a caution...I saw the online demo and the operating was...well, not good.

Lots of bad bad headroom problems, lots of bounce, lots of sway, lots of major horizon roll issues.

Good for a hobbieist maybe but nothing near useful in a professional or semi-pro environment.

I can't tell if it is mainly a limitation of the operator on the demo, or whether that represents something like the best that can be achieved with the rig.

Just some food for thought.

#7 Chuck Swan

Chuck Swan

• Sustaining Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Donny,

As it happens, some guy has a Pilot for sale in the "Marketplace" forum.
(sorry! Shameless plug.) Posted Image

- Chuck

#8 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

I'm gonna be honest, I'd recommend getting an arm to use with a DSLR setup. I've been trying out the Merlin with a 1D Mark IV, and it's kicking my ass. The main issue is the lenses used with these cameras are usually pretty heavy. Yes, you can buy cheap and light, but if I'm going to use a DSLR to shoot video, I want a good lens. What you end up with the Mark IV at least, is arm extended, holding 8-10 pounds straight out in front of you, for lengthy periods. The 7D is lighter, but not by much, say 1 1/2 pounds or so. I'm also of the opinion that the camera is too small for my full sized rig, or at the very least I'd like something in between these two, like a Flyer or something. That I'm sure is out of your price range based on what you've written here, but you might take all that into consideration before you commit to a purchase.

BOXX

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC Electronics Solutions

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery