12 replies to this topic

#1 Jorge Prieto

Jorge Prieto

• Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts
  • Madrid ,spain

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Hello to all

The most of my experience since steadicam operator is in show and sports events with mobile unit.

The most of the times I load in my steadicam cameras with triax.

Please someone can say to me where obtains coaxial triax cable very flexible and thinner but with power to be employed at HD (if it is possible in Europe)

Thank you for your help

#2 Buster Arrieta

Buster Arrieta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Bogotá D.C. - Colombia

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

Saludos Jorge... Yo uso la referencia "mini triax" de LEMO KING... Es de muy buena calidad y solo lo uso un tramo de 2 metros máximo en la parte que va del chaleco a la cámara o directo del grueso le agrego directa la extensión del minitriax.

bustercam@yahoo.com

Hello to all

The most of my experience since steadicam operator is in show and sports events with mobile unit.

Please someone can say to me where obtains coaxial triax cable very flexible and thinner but with power to be employed at HD (if it is possible in Europe)

Thank you for your help

#3 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

With triax, I would adapt it to BNC Coax and power the camera off of the rig. Using the following adaptors, you can use the most flexible BNC of your choice to bridge the gap:

http://www.gepco.com...triaxtocoax.htm

But if you want to pass power, you need full triax compatability. Then you better start inquiring with companies like Mohawk Cable and Belden (or your local supplier) who can make you something like a 6ft jumper out of their slinkiest triax. Here is Gepco's flexible triax (not the thinnest in the world):

http://www.gepco.com...riax_flex_M.htm

Edited by Mike Germond, 13 March 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#4 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

The GEPCO triax to coax adapters are very good but you don't need a specialty "triax jumper" from Mohawk or anyone else.

Mogami 2964 works great and is a super flexible 75 ohm HD quality video cable about 3/16" inch diameter that you can make a suitable jumper out of. It was recommended to me by Peter Abraham originally and I make all my video jumpers out of it because it is so nice to work with.

Rob Vouna turned me on to an even smaller Mogami cable he uses for live triax jumpers; Mogami 1354. The diameter is less than 1/16" inch and requires additional strain relief at the connector. It's tiny and I was skeptical at first but it works just fine...never a problem.

Both of these will run everything you need including power in a triax setup.

The only specialty cable you'll need from Mohawk for live work would be their thin fiber jumper / adapters for fiber shows. The cost is about $630 for either 5' or 6' foot lengths. I suppose they would make any length you want.

You can order the Mogami 2964 and 1354 plus appropriate connectors from BTX

BTX Technologies

or contact Terry West and he can make up a few sets for you. I built my own 2964 jumpers but the 1354 is so tiny I had Terry make them.

Good luck!

Robert

#5 Ken Nguyen

Ken Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 245 posts
  • California & Viet Nam

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

Saludos Jorge... Yo uso la referencia "mini triax" de LEMO KING... Es de muy buena calidad y solo lo uso un tramo de 2 metros máximo en la parte que va del chaleco a la cámara o directo del grueso le agrego directa la extensión del minitriax.

bustercam@yahoo.com

Hello to all

Thank you for your help

Jorge,
All other posts are good tips.
But, because you are living in Europe, so FISCHER triax connector is what you want not KING.
Search the board you can find ton of info discussed previously.
Contact Robin at (Europe) Tiffen or Howard at MK-V for the cable.
Fly safe,
Ken Nguyen.

#6 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

Robert, I guess I'm letting video engineers sway my opinion, but I was under the impression that converting from Triax to Coax eliminates the ground from the signal/guard/ground structure of triax. It sounds like you've had no problems to speak of with signal strength or power?

I guess I shouldn't talk, because in the past I would have thrown speculation to the wind as long as it works!

#7 Jorge Prieto

Jorge Prieto

• Sustaining Members
  • 23 posts
  • Madrid ,spain

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thank you very much for your commentaries.

The conectores that I use frequently are LEMO3, LEMO4 and FISCHER

#8 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Robert,

I had a conversation with an EIC today who told me that in his experience the Triax to coax adapters are fragile tend to fail, sometimes messing up CCU's in the process.

As a result, he's a fan of triax jumpers for Steadicam use.

Have you ever seen or heard of this in your experience?

#9 Bryan Trieb SOC

Bryan Trieb SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Los Angeles / Toronto

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

In my experience the triax to coax adapters with a true 75ohm works every time even with HD systems using triax.
It's usually necessary however for the video operator to shut off a "safety" switch of some sort on the CCU for it to work properly.

Cheers!
Bry

#10 G.Giuseppetti

G.Giuseppetti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Maybe these guys can help you:

http://www.eiwa-es.de

#11 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

In my experience the triax to coax adapters with a true 75ohm works every time even with HD systems using triax.
It's usually necessary however for the video operator to shut off a "safety" switch of some sort on the CCU for it to work properly.

Cheers!
Bry

It's really only an issue when it rains, or you sweat. Also, may sure the short is done properly. I worked with a low budget truck and the Video guy put the power to the external part of the Triax. As I began to sweat I got bit about every few seconds. This was for 6 hrs. straight on live event. In retrospect it was the thing that kept me going for 6 hrs straight in the rig with no break. My assistant got bit every time he touched me as well.

John A

#12 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Mogami 2964 works great and is a super flexible 75 ohm HD quality video cable about 3/16" inch diameter that you can make a suitable jumper out of. It was recommended to me by Peter Abraham originally and I make all my video jumpers out of it because it is so nice to work with.
Good luck!

Robert

-cough- with the crimper I loaned to you..... where'd that crimper get to?...... -cough-

#13 PeterAbraham

PeterAbraham

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 902 posts
  • New York City

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

Cheers!
Bry

This was my experience as well and I did quite a few remotes. The older cameras have a shorting switch on the fax board within the base station. You have to ask the SVO to flip it for you. Otherwise, when you wire up, the camera shows as "Open".

Some newer base stations automatically see that and short out, allowing Coax to work properly as the jumper. I'd personally caution against the real spaghetti coax, and go with the Mogami 2964. However, your mileage may vary and other Ops have done just fine using the spaghetti Belden. Jeff? What was your flavor?

Peter Abraham

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus