4 replies to this topic

#1 Damien King

Damien King

• Sustaining Members
  • 6 posts
  • Bangkok Thailand/Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

hello Everyone,
Just a quick question, I am in the next couple of weeks doing a shot where the DP wants to mount a Spintex to the rig. As i have never been in the position or seen one mounted on a rig before was wondering if this would give issues to balance or any other unforeseen problems??? I am operating with a Ultra 1 Steadicam rig. Thanks for your time in advance and look forward to the incoming knowledge.

P.s i would be lost without this site, thanks to all who have contributed and given out knowledge as it is seriously greatly appreciated. (Newbie)

#2 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

I used a small one years ago. I was worried about a gyro effect.. but the whole thing worked like a charm, no operating issues, was fairly easy to mount, power, etc. Alas, I don't remember any of the details... if you can get a prep day (or just take one) to sort it out that would be great.

#3 Damien King

Damien King

• Sustaining Members
  • 6 posts
  • Bangkok Thailand/Sydney, Australia

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Jerry,
I have a prep day so am looking forward to fitting the spintex to the rig. Thanks for your reply.

#4 Daniel Stilling DFF

Daniel Stilling DFF

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 257 posts
  • Florida

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hey Damien,

I used a few, and there's really no secret to it. I powered it from my sled, as I have a 4 pin XLR 12V out on my top stage. You might need a power cable depending on your set up.
Be very aware of condensation and other issues that might arrise when you work in a humid environment.

Good luck!

#5 Gus Trivino

Gus Trivino

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 225 posts
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

years ago I worked with the Spintex.
I didnt know it and Was a great experience, very light and silent but I remember I tried to power the spintex from the camera aux power 12V and it wasn´t posibble. (the gyros was very slow and didnt work)
Finally I powered from the sled and not problem at all.
Remember to bring rain cover for you, camera and sled, and a big towell.
I usually have on my pelican case a dryer hair in order to eliminate the humidity if I have any problem with the Follow focus or video sender.
Best to all,

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC