3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Flurry

Chris Flurry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 38 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

So finally was able to put together a website and reel, would love your comments.

#2 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 921 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hey Chris,

I just spent far too long on another Demo Reel. Apologies, as I'm spent, this will be short. As probably needs not be said, the following is only my opinion:

The good: Solid operating. A few minor framing issues, but overall solid. Great that you have stairs in there!

The bad: The last two shots don't seem to be steadicam. If there was a shot from the same scene after them that you wanted to use those as bridging shots for, I'd understand. As it is, it looks like you just wanted your reel to end in an explosion. Cool and all, but not related to your reel. As a prospective employer I don't care that other people on that shoot made a car blow up and that you were around, I really only care about your steadicam operating on that shoot. Also, the sound in that scene should be taken out, you don't have any sound from any of the other shots, so it's jarring when suddenly I'm hearing dialogue all of a sudden, keeps me from watching the shot, suddenly I'm watching the movie!

The suggestions: Cut the shot of the guy carrying the girl when they get to the couch. We're looking at nothing for a long time until he gets her helmet off. Granted, you're showing off a lock-off, which is good, but it's too long. Cut the shot of the guy with the lighter shorter. I'd cut the beginning. The walk away from the telephone poll is very slow, and very smooth, that's the most important part of that shot to show off. Maybe cut leave a bit of the lock off and then go into the slow move? When the guy gets out of the car, maybe cut after a few seconds after booming back down to the seated character? Again, there's a lot of just staring at him that loses my attention quickly.

Other than that I'd say just more variety. It looks like you only have 3, maybe 4 projects in there? If that's all you've done, that's fine, but the reel could easily be 1 1/2 minutes or less, which is all you'll need to sell yourself.

In My Opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Brian |-)~

#3 Chris Flurry

Chris Flurry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 38 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:06 AM

Thanks Brian,
Its always good to have another set of eyes on a project. I agree that I could cut some of the shots shorter, I have footage from another couple projects in the works and we will see what happens in the next cut.

#4 Matteo Quagliano

Matteo Quagliano

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

great work man... in my modest and not expert opinion.. great work...

just have some doubts on the opening, it's ok but not very solid, I would open with something else that you have later on...
the end is simply great, love it, really...

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions