• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael McKimmey

Michael McKimmey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

Any pilot users out there that have a quick release plate that they would recommend? I have been using a manfrotto that sux. It is extremely tough to keep it screwed on tight plus I am not nuts about it quality.

Please help!!!

cheers

#2 Paul Kellett

Paul Kellett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Bristol, UK

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

What's wrong with the Manfrotto ?
I use a Manfrotto MN357, (bigger plate than the 577 but same receiver) on my Pilot.
I've tapped threads in the furthest apart holes on the manfrotto receiver so now i've got 2 screws fixing it to the pilot stage plate.
I had to file the screw heads down so that they cleared the underside of the stage, for adjustment issues.
Also, the original pilot screw which goes through the plate into the receiver, that screw has hardly any thread on it, not much at all goes into the manfrotto receiver, think low mode, camera upside down hanging by about 2 threads, makes me shudder, my 2 new screws thread all the way through the receiver flush with the top side, so plenty of thread there now.

Paul.

#3 Michael McKimmey

Michael McKimmey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

I use a Manfrotto MN357, (bigger plate than the 577 but same receiver) on my Pilot.
I've tapped threads in the furthest apart holes on the manfrotto receiver so now i've got 2 screws fixing it to the pilot stage plate.
I had to file the screw heads down so that they cleared the underside of the stage, for adjustment issues.
Also, the original pilot screw which goes through the plate into the receiver, that screw has hardly any thread on it, not much at all goes into the manfrotto receiver, think low mode, camera upside down hanging by about 2 threads, makes me shudder, my 2 new screws thread all the way through the receiver flush with the top side, so plenty of thread there now.

Paul.

I have the same one! I'll take your advice for a spin. Thanks for the help!

#4 Sam Morgan Moore

Sam Morgan Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

Paul.

I have the same one! I'll take your advice for a spin. Thanks for the help!

It you are not a tapper there are three threaded holes in the 577 receiver

I use the 1/4 BSW hole which is at the front and the M6 hole which is at the rear (on my sticks)

Cant remember if these holes line up with the pilot drillings though

S

Omnishot Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC