Steadicam Mini....will a super lite Varicam pkg be too much?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Walker

Joe Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, I've had a Steadicam Mini since about 2001 I believe and have used it on various projects with all sorts of success. I even recently upgraded the monitor on it to HD and it flies my HVX200 perfectly. Okay, here's the big question. In the literature, it says that this thing can hold up to 15lbs. I've got a shoot coming up where the producer and director would like to get a couple of wide tracking shots with their Varicam package. If we were to pair it down to just the camera body and a lightweight eng zoom lens, i'm talking no viewfinder, camera power coming straight from the sled tap (i.e. no on camera batteries), does anybody on this forum think that that particular camera setup will be too much weight? The answer is probably yes but I figured I'd ask all of you anyway. Can't wait to hear what you all have to say. Thanks!

Joe Walker

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

ummm...ask them to put that package on a scale for you? Or get the model numbers of the components and see what the manufacturer's spec on weight is?

Plus you'll probably want to confirm the actual performance of your Mini by loading it up with a measured amount of weight.

Ultimately, the Mini arm was not exactly high-tech--you could probably jack an extra spring or two onboard and it wouldn't affect the performance much (don't think the gimbal will explode with a couple of extra pounds on it). We also used to use surgical tubing for the same purpose, although I don't know how effective that will be on the Mini arm.

#3 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1133 posts
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

Here's the stats on the H version of the Varicam according to the manual:

4.7 kg (10.34 lb) (main unit only)

Approx. 7.4 kg (16.28 lb)
(including main unit, viewfinder, lens, battery pack,
tape and microphone)