6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Browne

Justin Browne

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts
  • los angeles

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:08 AM

I cant figure out whats going on with my rig. After I have balanced my rig and I do my drop time test it now has the tendency to lean either forward or backwards when letting it hang vertically. My first reaction is that something was loose. After checking every screw and tightened everything down I can not find any movement anywhere. I have no idea what it could be. The lean/tilt is not that bad but it still needs a trim tweak to achieve static balance again. Its more of an annoyance than anything else. Im flying the old style PRO 1 chocolate bars and Im thinking that the cells might be shifting. Any thought or trouble shooting techniques would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

Justin,

which rig do you own? I've had similar problems with my rigs. Most probable cause is that something is shifting.

LE

#3 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:31 AM

I cant figure out whats going on with my rig. After I have balanced my rig and I do my drop time test it now has the tendency to lean either forward or backwards when letting it hang vertically. My first reaction is that something was loose. After checking every screw and tightened everything down I can not find any movement anywhere. I have no idea what it could be. The lean/tilt is not that bad but it still needs a trim tweak to achieve static balance again. Its more of an annoyance than anything else. Im flying the old style PRO 1 chocolate bars and Im thinking that the cells might be shifting. Any thought or trouble shooting techniques would be greatly appreciated.

The batteries might be shifting or the gimbal is no longer in alignment

#4 Justin Browne

Justin Browne

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts
  • los angeles

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:37 AM

Justin,

which rig do you own? I've had similar problems with my rigs. Most probable cause is that something is shifting.

LE

I have a PRO 1 battery stage, PRO 2 center post and top stage. Cant find any movement at all but I guess it doesnt take much shifting either to throw the balance off.

#5 Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 543 posts
  • Norway

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:00 AM

As Eric statet, make sure the batteries are fixed. Then do a tilt, and when you do, listen if there are any odd "click" noises. Also have your hand on the top stage and on the gimbal. Feel for any vibration. If this does happen, something might be loose. And yes, it doesn't take much at all to tilt the rig several degrees off.

#6 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

"I have a PRO 1 battery stage, PRO 2 center post and top stage. "

Justin,

Do as Lars suggests and see if you feel any vibration or click. It could be the gimbal or batteries as Eric suggests, but if you have the PRO 2 quick release ring between the top of the post and J-Box, this can have tiny bits of play (yet it feels tight to the touch). Remove the top section via the quick release, clean the threads from any debris and then apply the smallest amount of lithium grease. When you reconnect, tighten the ring nice and tight and use the fancy PRO tool. You don't need to kill it, but I find that extra 1/4 turn can eliminate the problem you are talking about.

Good luck.

#7 Justin Browne

Justin Browne

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 49 posts
  • los angeles

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks so much for all your input. I will give your suggestions a try.

Engineered Cinema Solutions

IDX

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech

SkyDreams

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

GPI Pro Systems