Wireless Video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thurberj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

We recently bought a Steadicam Flyer and have used it to cover Athletic events at our college. We have a mobile production unit with a switcher and shoot with three or four cameras--then webcast the program live. We are using new Panasonic P2 cameras.

We'd like to go to the next level and disconnect our Steadicam from the cables tying it to the switcher. Do you have any recommendations for wireless video systems that you could share with us? I would imagine that we need something that can give us a reliable signal up to 100 yards.

Thank you for your advice.

Robert Thurber
Assistant Professor
Communications Program
Le Moyne College
1419 Salt Springs Road
Syracuse, New York 13214
Email: thurberj@lemoyne.edu
Phone: 315-445-5467

#2 Emre Tufekci

Emre Tufekci

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

The only thing cost effective that would work with would be the camwave system but that would be too heavy for your rig.

Systems like Modulus or Canatrans are not for broadcast, just review due to high dropout and interference.

Which cameras P2 cameras are you using?

#3 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

First off, welcome to the forum. I'll be the first (but probably not the last) to remind you that you must use your full name on this forum..

On to your question:
On my way out of a university in Michigan when I started operating steadicam and they started doing inhouse jumbotron productions. We started our arsenal out with 4 DVX100's and 2 HVX200's, though you could be describing any number of Panasonic P2 cameras. I have flown the camwave on the above mentioned Panasonic cameras for a live stream to the Jumbotron, but I have a Flyer LE which seems to have a capacity that spans beyond what Tiffen says it will hold.

Even with a ENG bodied P2 camera, I still disagree with Emre that it will be too heavy for the old Flyer. I rented a friend's Flyer when my LE was on another shoot, and I managed to fly a Sony EX1, Letus35, 70mm canon lens, zacuto rails system, zacuto mattebox, Bartech w/ M-One motor, and a 2.5lb steel counterweight on the top with the SD monitor and 2 PowerCubes on the bottom. That far exceeds a bare ENG bodied camera with a camwave (as long as you run everything off the onboard batteries).

Where there's a will, there's a way my man!

Edited by Mike Germond, 25 February 2010 - 05:35 PM.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery