8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Fuchs

Michael Fuchs

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 39 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Just another plea for people to try and continue to fight for respectable rates. When NBC 4 asks for a half day to do some type of promo/bit for one of their top faces at the network, let's not say yes to $500 dollars flat. Please.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

You're kidding! Has this already been done, or are they shopping around waving $500?

#3 Aaron Medick SOC

Aaron Medick SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 174 posts
  • NYC

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

Tell them to shove it. They pay around $2000/day plus $600 for an AC. I get that every time from NBC, CBS etc for show lead ins, wraps, etc.

#4 Jon Beattie

Jon Beattie

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 206 posts
  • Long Island

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Still going on and getting worse. I've spoken to 2 other nonunion operator buddies here in NY we have all been bumped off jobs for operators willing to go to sub $300- a day. We are all bumped off these jobs which we were quoting between 500-1000 for lowbudget and student shoots only offering 6-10hrs for the reduced rates. They were all day playing for 1-3 day jobs that were lost to follow ops just giving it away. To make it worse the ops who have taken these gigs all have 600 op cards.

It's not an easy uphill battle for a young nonunion op trying to build their skills, clients, reels and reputations as it is. When the time is right I know I'd love to be in 600 certainly not knocking the union. Personally I know I need more time before trying to join the ranks and getting consistent work there.

Its just crazy seeing that in the middle of the Summer people are going out for what I won't even leave the house for.

I'm sure it could always be a producer playing the game to try and get us to take a dive. I'm not going for it.

#5 Yousheng Tang

Yousheng Tang

• Sustaining Members
  • 20 posts
  • New York

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

I got a ridiculous call the other day from a "production" looking for a steadicam op because they couldn't afford a dolly?!!! what?!

#6 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

Still going on and getting worse. I've spoken to 2 other nonunion operator buddies here in NY we have all been bumped off jobs for operators willing to go to sub $300- a day. We are all bumped off these jobs which we were quoting between 500-1000 for lowbudget and student shoots only offering 6-10hrs for the reduced rates. They were all day playing for 1-3 day jobs that were lost to follow ops just giving it away. To make it worse the ops who have taken these gigs all have 600 op cards.

You really need to out those ops since they are not doing ANYONE a favor

#7 Michael Fuchs

Michael Fuchs

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 39 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

http://mandy.com/1/j....cfm?v=39790885

New Yorkers: please stay away, if possible, from this silly post looking for the type of operator that does not match the rate. "Extensive experience" with references etc. in exchange for pennies basically. Just gets under my skin a little.

Mike

#8 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

"Both positions are at $500/Day. Must have extensive experience to qualify."

I'm tempted to apply and then inform them "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought it was $500 an hour."

Skip this one people.

#9 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:19 AM

http://mandy.com/1/jobs3.cfm?v=39790885

New Yorkers: please stay away, if possible, from this silly post looking for the type of operator that does not match the rate. "Extensive experience" with references etc. in exchange for pennies basically. Just gets under my skin a little.

Mike

you've gotta put stuff like that in perspective though. Looking at their site, I doubt they've ever been in any position to make a profit, and probably have very little of an idea of what it is they're asking for. "Extensive Experience" can be a relative term sometimes.

Teradek

Varizoom Follow Focus

BOXX

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC Electronics Solutions