2 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

I've been having some major problems with producers/directors on some student films I worked on about a year ago. I still do not have the footage from productions that were finished in post over 9 months and 'released' 6 months ago. Now, I've sent a few messages to these guys and I get the same reply every time 'I'll send a DVD soon''. I live in the UK now and these films were shot in LA, where I was a student. It seems as if these guys think it's a terribly hard task to send a DVD overseas to the UK...

Should I be more aggressive in my approach to getting my footage? My approach so far has not worked at all - The whole 'please send me my footage' email is getting slightly old now as it generates the same, general response.

Cheers.

#2 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

I've been having some major problems with producers/directors on some student films I worked on about a year ago....

Should I be more aggressive in my approach to getting my footage?...

Cheers.

Hi Jamie. Agressive way is wrong way.
You´re 22 years old and a long life ahead. Like newbie you..wouldn´t fight with producers or directors. Be patient and take it easy. You´re not an stupid or an slave, of course, but in this "war"...You´ll never win. Before to do a work, speak with producers, Dp., director and ask for your footage, and permissions to add your work to your demo-reel. ;)

#3 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

You're not a lone Jamie, I dunno what it is about footage that people find so difficult.

All you can do for past shoots at this point is keep asking nicely. But you don't want a DVD of the final project, you want raw footage of all the Steadicam takes. that way you can pick which is the best take for your needs, and it won't be edited with other stuff. You can use as much or as little of the shot as possible.

I put it in the deal memo. Especially for student shoots it's easy: tell them you're rate and then tell them you'll give them such-and-such discount (which you were likely gonna do anyway) if they give you the footage by such-and-such date. If they are late, they owe you full rate/rental. Every student I've posed this to has excitedly signed on the dotted line and gotten my footage to me quickly. Make sure you are clear that it is the raw shots you want, nothing edited. Give them preferred formats, and give them a bit of leeway for running late (I just say to contact me if an extension is needed, that keeps 'em honest, but safe if they legitimately have problems)

Good luck, I feel your pain!

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

SkyDreams