#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi there,

I've been on a few jobs recently and I've found myself setting up quicker everytime and having to wait around for the camera to be ready, or just waiting around until I'm needed if there is a B camera. I'm day playing on a short tomorrow in London and I've just gotten off the phone with the Producer, she asked me how long I would take to set up from arriving tomorrow morning at 8am. It's a RED shoot so I told her about half an hour from getting the kit out of my car to being ready to shoot, which is fairly reasonable for me (I have an Archer 2S so it's very quick to set up). The producer then went on to say they had allotted an hour for me to set up my kit... not including balancing the camera! is that about right? Am I rushing when I set up? I seem to be getting it done sometimes under 20 minutes... should I take a chill pill and maybe relax a bit when setting up and balancing?

How long does it take you guys to set up, say on the RED or similar...? Just trying to get an idea here. I gather most of you have bigger rigs than myself so that maybe why it takes a little longer huh?

Cheers

Jamie Mc

#2 Emre Tufekci

Emre Tufekci

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

For more of a standard set up for us is:

HPX2700+Bartech+M-one+CW-5HD transmitter+ Matte box+ accessories is 30-35 minutes out of the box. (Including camera set up)when using an Ultra-2.

We are used to this set up so we have the formula down.

If they are giving you time to set up, count your blessings. :rolleyes:

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

Haha yeah Iw as rather surprised when she asked me how long I would to set up, I didn't know what to say. I'm sticking to my 8am call time so I can set up, relax and get a feel for the shoot.

You mention the BFD, motor and TX/RX etc... Do you like to get those set up or do you hand it all over to the AC?

Cheers

#4 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 624 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

I usually answer the question with, "From the time I park my car, it will take me about 15 minutes to get my rig built and then about 5 minutes from the time I get a built camera until I'm ready to shoot".

I like putting that in there instead of saying, "20 minutes" because I can actually go from packed in my car to roll camera in less than 10 minutes if I have a camera ready to go.

The catch is the 'ready to go part'. Not just a body or a body with a lens but a body, lens, mag, matte box, filter, sun shade, etc.

No fun standing there with everybody waiting on you when your waiting on the assistant to strip the camera from studio mode or the loader to load the steadicam mag. Saying "from the time I get a built camera" helps them understand that it's not you they are waiting on.

I also like to add the "from the time I park my car" part because I've pulled on to set before several minutes before my call but not actually been parked for another 20 minutes. It's important that locations knows to have a spot for you 'on set' right next to the camera truck or right by the actual shooting location so you can unload your car and not have to then push your stuff for a half a mile.

#5 Brian Freesh

Brian Freesh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 922 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

I like Mike's method. I do essentially the same thing, though perhaps less succinctly. I think it's super important to mention needing a built camera, which I never seem to get. As far as total time, you're doing fine, but definitely take the extra time to relax if they give it to you!

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

I always say I can't shoot until after lunch, which is when my buzz usually wears off.

#7 Alfeo Dixon SOC

Alfeo Dixon SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 756 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

I always say I can't shoot until after lunch, which is when my buzz usually wears off.

classic Ron, classic

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

Teradek