• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

I receieved my Merlin about 2 weeks ago, I have been working with it daily and just can't get it setup correctly.

I am familiar with the adjustments and terms ( except a few not listed in the mannual ) and I can get the camera to sit back but once i stand or pan left/right its starts the pendilum effect.

My camera is the cookbook and I tried those setup specs, I weighed my camera and things were a little different from the cookbook.

Here are a few things I still dont understand and could not find answers to:

In regards to the English Formula sheet online: http://www.merlincoo...ulaEnglish.htm

My Camera Weight = 1.9 ( weighed it myself )
Camera Vert CG (INS) is 3.25 ( I got that from the cookbook under Sony HDR-SR1 )
Nose Weight, I have no idea what nose weight is.
I cant find where it explains what CASE is. I see options 5,6,7,8,9 with data to the right.
I assume the II) and (II) are the mid weights and finish weights
Gimbal position ( can I really have 2" of thread showing? )
Dynamic moment, have no idea to calculate this.

So im in a bit of a pickle here, can someone help me figure this out please?

Should I have a pendelum from small movements, on youtube i see guys running with it, if i were to do that the camera would be all over the place.

Sorry for the noob questions.

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

I receieved my Merlin about 2 weeks ago, I have been working with it daily and just can't get it setup correctly.

I am familiar with the adjustments and terms ( except a few not listed in the mannual ) and I can get the camera to sit back but once i stand or pan left/right its starts the pendilum effect.

My camera is the cookbook and I tried those setup specs, I weighed my camera and things were a little different from the cookbook.

I'm sure that you will get some answers but please do all of us a favor. Change your screen name to you real name, it's a rule we have here

Thanks

#3 Tim Horning

Tim Horning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

I've had my Merlin since the summer of 2007 and went to great pains getting it to work with my Sony HDR-SR1. I documented the process in photos and video clips as I configured it to work both with and without the add-on wide-angle lens, external shoe-mounted mic and with/without the LCD panel open. I would be happy to share the information with you if you are still having issues and could send you the files if you want them - send me a message if you're interested. Otherwise, here are some specs I used that may help get you on the right track - these are for the camcorder without any accessories, standard-size battery, and with the LCD panel closed:

use hole H
front edge of mounting plate at 0
arc = 13 inches (from where the weights meet the spar to the back edge of the mounting plate where the bubble level is
one finish weight at the spar caliper
one start weight and one finish weight on the lower end of the spar
trim controls: front one centered under the gimbal, back one about center (tiny tweaks make a big difference!)

Once you have it balanced, opening the LCD panel with require that you change both of the trim controls, and it will act as a sail and throw your camera off course, so be ready to practice your touch to steer the camera where you want it to point (or keep the panel closed if framing isn't critical).

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

#4 Tim Horning

Tim Horning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Another thing... loosen (lower) the gimbal about three full rotations to eliminate the pendulum effect.

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Teradek

IDX

Omnishot Systems

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX

Engineered Cinema Solutions