7 replies to this topic

#1 Bart Wierzbicki

Bart Wierzbicki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:58 AM

Hey guys,
Yesterday I saw the movie "Gamer" and on the behind-the-scenes feature I saw Mark Neveldine
using the steadicam on inline-skates. It really impressed me.
Did anyone tried it ? :lol:

Now I was looking for some good alternatives because I don't want to change shoes all the time.
I found this : Skorpion Rollerskates
You can use it for multi-terrain (gras, dirt-tracks, ...) etc.
It's kinda cheap and you just can strap it onto your own shoe.
It has 2x2 wheelbase so it's more stable then inline-skates.
What do you think about it ?

#2 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 625 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

I also skate with my rig. I was a really good rollerblader (I won a state championship for freestyle skating) before I ever put on a steadicam. I would suggest that you need to be a fantastic skater before you try to skate with a rig, even then I would only do it at first with pads and a grip or two to spot me. Maybe even a practice cage or something that doesnt cost as much as a film camera to replace.

Hope that helps,

mm.

#3 Bart Wierzbicki

Bart Wierzbicki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

I also skate with my rig. I was a really good rollerblader (I won a state championship for freestyle skating) before I ever put on a steadicam. I would suggest that you need to be a fantastic skater before you try to skate with a rig, even then I would only do it at first with pads and a grip or two to spot me. Maybe even a practice cage or something that doesnt cost as much as a film camera to replace.

Hope that helps,

mm.

Hey Mike,
Do you use inline skates, or rollerskates ?
I did a lot of skateboarding, ice-skating & rollerskating when I was younger, so I have an idea to balance. ;)
But just to be sure I was thinking of those 2x2 skates because it is even more stable I guess. right ?

#4 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 625 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

I rollerskated when I was a kid but I only use rollerblades with the steadicam. Two wheels in front does not seem like a good idea to me but I have never tried those skates so I'm only guessing.

Again, I just want to make it really clear that in my opinion, rollerblades + steadicam = a really bad idea for most people. you could do 100k worth of damage plus seriously injure yourself with almost no effort.

#5 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

Mike, just curious whether you ever skate with full sized cameras(typical 35mm setup) or just lighter running rig style setups?

~Jess

#6 Mike McGowan SOC

Mike McGowan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 625 posts
  • Miami, Florida, USA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

I used a milenium with a primo and frequently use a 435 or 235 with Cook's...... It would be fun to try a small sled like a Jr with a mini dv camera, I could haul ass!

#7 Bart Wierzbicki

Bart Wierzbicki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

I used a milenium with a primo and frequently use a 435 or 235 with Cook's...... It would be fun to try a small sled like a Jr with a mini dv camera, I could haul ass!

I have a pilot with an XH-a1.
So maybe that's worth the risk. :lol:

#8 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hi Bart,

the skorpion skates are probably great for straight-line shooting, but I couldn't imagine you're as agile as you would be on regular inline skates. I've used my salomon st-10's with my steadicam when i was shooting a short last summer. I had to follow (both backward and forward) a guy with a shopping cart through a mall, it worked really well, every shot was really smooth. You can do everything a lot faster opposed operating on foot. There's just one thing though, make sure you've got a good spotter when using 2x2 skates or inlines. And practice skating before putting on your gear, build it up gradually and you'll be allright.

Good Luck

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions