4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 490 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Remember THIS when the studios keep trying to talk us DOWN on our rates and rentals ladies and gentlemen.
They use the recession as an excuse over and over again in the past year to drive our rates down, but once again, the studios are making more money now than ever....and this is JUST box office sales.
Don't be like one experienced operator who recently took a Disney backed show for $2,000 a week rental on his Steadicam (and a bad hourly rate too). A show I (and was told 20 others after me) turned down to try to preserve our rates and rentals.

Article released in Hollywood Reporter:

Hollywood expecting record $10 bil year

Film boxoffices were poised on Wednesday to eclipse 2007's record $9.68 billion in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales with Hollywood eyeing more than $10 billion this year as audiences flocked to theaters during the recession.

Studios began the year with January crossing the $1 billion mark for the first time ever, and boxoffices this month are counting on help from films such as "Avatar," "Sherlock Holmes" and "It's Complicated."

So far, moviegoers had snapped up $9.67 billion worth of tickets at domestic -- U.S. and Canadian -- boxoffices through Tuesday, tracking firm Hollywood.com Box Office said.

The firm said 2007's record was expected to be surpassed on Wednesday, as Hollywood reaps returns during a recession that, as in past downturns, has seen consumers showing up in theaters for relatively cheap entertainment.

Last year's domestic boxoffice came in at $9.63 billion.

#2 Kelli Lee

Kelli Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for bringing this up. This is really encouraging, especially for those just getting started in their career. Long live Hollywood!

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

As I understand it, this is simply one part of the puzzle with another being DVD sales that continue to fall. The big picture is not as rosy.

#4 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

That's what I was going to say Charles.

But I do wonder about other movie aspects. I think I might have rented 1 DVD in the past 12 months. But according to my iTunes account, 22 movies were 'rented.' And how do things like Netflix fit into the scope?

I can imagine it's a bit of a challenge to get a level view on everything. And I wouldn't be the one required to get a balance of what the industry was doing in such a dynamic market.

It still is important to keep our heads up, be positive, and enjoy what we do.

...just sayin'

#5 David Allen Grove SOC

David Allen Grove SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 870 posts
  • Los Angeles, California,

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Don't forget, the Studios have to pay more into our health and pension plan because of skyrocketing health care costs.

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions