#1 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

:lol:

At a recent shoot I was asked to put a 300mm Zeiss, 2.8 telelens on the 435.
It was basically a simple shot, following a Marine cadet over-shoulder, then arc around and when he comes to a stop in front of an officer, a close up on minimum focus.
It was an experiment, we already had the other versions (50mm "wide angle", 85mm "medium" and 135mm tele), but the director wanted to know how much he could push the selective focus of this shot.
We thought it was a would be a nightmare for the focus puller, but he could not do much anyway as we shot on the minimum focus the whole time.
Afterwards I was not too unhappy with the result, but it is for sure more luck than operating skills if there is a small usable part in a take. Shooting at 75 fps extended that usable part a bit.

I have the shot but I think I cannot show it here due to copyrights.....

What's your longest and "do-able" lens ever used?

#2 Nitin Rao

Nitin Rao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • India, mumbai

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hi

I am sure would have been really difficult to operate with that focal length. How did u manage to balance the kit. Would be nice to see a pic of the kit with the 300mm on.

Cheers
Nitin

#3 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 496 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

Gustavo Penna sent me the following photo. I think it's got to be a contender:

Posted Image

Jim "does size matter?" Bartell

#4 nick franco

nick franco

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • San Fernando, CA

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Did he lose a bet?

Gustavo Penna sent me the following photo. I think it's got to be a contender:

Posted Image

Jim "does size matter?" Bartell

#5 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

Jim, that must be the loooongest ever! Even for a "normal" dolly setup it will be the longest.
Nice picture, must be the winner!

Would be interesting to know if he actually made a shot with it.

Nitin, the 300mm Zeiss is similar to the Canon 300, so it is not that big and heavy and does not really need a support when mounted on a PL-mount camera.

Yes, the operating is very sensitive to every movement of body and fingers. And due to the mass of a Steadicam (inertia) you tend to over-correct every minuscule movement.
So we did a few takes and there were bits and pieces of usable material, not sure if they will end up in the finished commercial.

#6 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

Long lens when you are relatively close to the subject is a lot more forgiving than when a substantial distance, as the former is more "abstract" with no background to contend with. The ass-kicker to me was tracking laterally on a 150 from across the street,where you can really see all of the extraneous movement in the architecture.

#7 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

I've shot ton's of stuff in Dexter (a F23 show) at 72mm or 180mm equivalent, I also shoot a lot of Handheld at 72mm. It REALLY helps to have a focus puller that is at the top of his game.

#8 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts
  • Reading, UK

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

I've shot ton's of stuff in Dexter (a F23 show) at 72mm or 180mm equivalent, I also shoot a lot of Handheld at 72mm. It REALLY helps to have a focus puller that is at the top of his game.

Eric, I watched the latest episode of Dexter last night. Did you shoot the scene that ended the episode with the two steadicam shots that lead Dexter and Arthur towards each other in the middle of the police station? They were a great couple of shots, really added to the whole build up towards those three words at the end of the episode!

Ah I love Dexter!

#9 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

Longest I have heard of was 300mm Canon on 16mm vehicle mounted filming lions in Africa. Focus was taken care of by tying pieces of meat to ropes behind the Land Rover and having the lions chase and nearly catch. Dust was an issue but the camera op was there for a long period trying to get a just a few seconds of great footage.

Robin

#10 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

Charles, I agree with you partially: the background is so blurry , it doesn't matter where you look at. However, the foreground, in this setup a (part of a) guys face, who is walking at considerable speed and I have to double that speed to make that circular movement in time for the end shot makes it not forgiving at all.

Attached Files

#11 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

No, that's true, for a circling shot there's a lot of challenges represented. I was thinking more of the type of shot that a focus puller would actually be able to manage (did he actually pull it off? very impressive, even if at a fat stop).

One thing is definitely true of a lens that long; if your rig has any vibration in it, this is where you'll see it!

#12 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:21 PM

Eric, I watched the latest episode of Dexter last night. Did you shoot the scene that ended the episode with the two steadicam shots that lead Dexter and Arthur towards each other in the middle of the police station? They were a great couple of shots, really added to the whole build up towards those three words at the end of the episode!

Ah I love Dexter!

I am full time on Dexter, so yes whatever steadicam you see I shot, same goes for all the Handheld and all the long lens

#13 Mike Germond SOC

Mike Germond SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 468 posts
  • Orlando Steadicam LLC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

One thing is definitely true of a lens that long; if your rig has any vibration in it, this is where you'll see it!

Primary reason why I can't wait to get out of this Flyer LE!!!

#14 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 496 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

Jim, that must be the loooongest ever! Even for a "normal" dolly setup it will be the longest.
Nice picture, must be the winner!

Would be interesting to know if he actually made a shot with it.

Yes, he did. He was filming from the pits at a Nascar-type event and they wanted the camera to go right up to and inside the car when it was at a pit stop. Gustavo said he could do it with a regular camera but they didn't want him to get too close to the car so they got that extender from Innovision so he could stay farther back but look like he was right inside the car.

As far as I know they used it.

Jim "hearsay testimony" Bartell

#15 Amando Crespo

Amando Crespo

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Madrid Spain

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
Take a look...: http://www.youtube.c.../46/6SQ8FePjZ2k

Wireless Video Systems